Shimano 105 5700 calipers with 5600 shifters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vanhulle

I've seen a good deal on some new 5700 brakes, but have 5600 shifters at the moment, now officially these are not supposed to work but just wondered if anyone has any real world experience of this set up and if so is it ok and the warnings just marketing, or am I likely to end up in hospital if I pair the two?
Many thanks in advance.

OP
OP
V

vanhulle

Forgot to add it's shimano 105 stuff I am talking about.
Thanks.

martint235

Dog on a bike
I can't see why they wouldn't. I'm running a rear 5700 caliper with an SRAM Red lever and it's ok so I would have thought a 5600 lever would be fine too.

uclown2002

Guru
I've seen a good deal on some new 5700 brakes, but have 5600 shifters at the moment, now officially these are not supposed to work but just wondered if anyone has any real world experience of this set up and if so is it ok and the warnings just marketing, or am I likely to end up in hospital if I pair the two?
Many thanks in advance.
Why on earth wouldn't they work??

Venod

Eh up
From what I have read you will have more lever travel with 5600 calipers with 5700 Brifters than 5700 throughout, adjusting the blocks as close to the rim as possible would help, it depends if your happy with the feel of the brakes.

OP
OP
V

vanhulle

Thanks guys, Afnung it's 5700 calipers with 5600 shifters i am wanting to use. I know they should work it's just that Shimano say that because 5700 has a new cable pull you shouldn't mix and match. Point is I currently have some oem Calipers on which I've never been massively happy with their mushy feel, saw these bargain 5700 in Merlin and thought they might be an improvement. However don't want to shell out £30 if they're no better. Anyone ever actually used this mix?

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
It sounds like a good ploy by the manufacturer to sell extra brake calipers to anyone replacing their shifters. :whistle: Or I might be getting cynical as I mature in years.

OP
OP
V

vanhulle

I am with you hacienda71. I just can't see how they won't be an improvement over the OEM ones. Thanks for the link Banjo but unfortunately those are £44.99 each, the Merlin 5700 ones are £30 for the pair! Think I might just take a risk on them. If anyone has any other ideas/experience I would love to know?

Venod

Eh up
Whoops I got it the wrong way round, I can't see them not working the feel my be different than intended with the 5700 brifters but you will soon adapt, not that it helps you but I have 2 bikes with 5700 brifters one with planet X calipers one with Avid bb7 disc brakes, neither designed to work with the 5700 brifters but both OK.

OP
OP
V

vanhulle

Just seen that Tiagra 4600 calipers now are not suitable for 5600 levers, it seems like Shimano are trying to change their whole range-I'll be down to sora soon.

Top Bottom