Shimano 105 5800 FD won't stop rubbing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MikeJD

Hi all,

I'm having some issues with the front derailleur on my new bike (Giant Contend SL 1).

In the lowest gear (large back, smalll front) no matter what I try, the derailleur won't travel far enough inwards (towards the frame) to stop the chain rubbing against the plastic plate on the derailleur. I've unwound the L limit screw all the way, even tried to angle the back end of the derailleur inwards, but that doesn't stop it rubbing either.

LGSrCne.jpg

Any ideas, or is this just unavoidable some times?

Thanks.

alicat

Legendary Member
What happens if you undo the cable, does the derailleur go far enough to the left?

iluvmybike

Über Member
You do know that there are two positions for the front gear lever? - it has a 'trim' facility so if you change down from the big ring you need to blip the lever again to get right the way down - this allows you to use the full range of the cassette without rubbing. in low setting the cage needs only 0.5-1mm clearance from the plastic insert in the fd

lazyfatgit

Check the inner ring is mounted the rightway round. The teeth may be asymetric. Had this problem on a new bike and the inner ring was round the wrong way. The chain sometimes didnt drop from lsrge to small prpoerly either due to gap. Can't remember what groupset it was.

OP
OP
M

MikeJD

You do know that there are two positions for the front gear lever? - it has a 'trim' facility so if you change down from the big ring you need to blip the lever again to get right the way down - this allows you to use the full range of the cassette without rubbing. in low setting the cage needs only 0.5-1mm clearance from the plastic insert in the fd

Yeah, the shifter is in low position, not low trim.

The problem is, when in low, it won't go far enough towards the frame to make a 0.5-1mm clearance from the plastic insert.

OP
OP
M

MikeJD

Check the inner ring is mounted the rightway round. The teeth may be asymetric. Had this problem on a new bike and the inner ring was round the wrong way. The chain sometimes didnt drop from lsrge to small prpoerly either due to gap. Can't remember what groupset it was.

I checked this morning and it looks to be the correct way around, would there be a definitive way to check?

Here's an image (excuse the socks!):

6GedK7h.jpg

Will Spin

Über Member
Is it possible that you've got too much tension in the cable? If this is the case it will limit the movement of the derailleur when you change to the smaller front chainwheel. If this is the 11 speed 105 FD, they are quite sensitive to incorrect set up and it's best to follow the dealer's manual on the Shimano website if you want to get it right.

OP
OP
M

MikeJD

Is it possible that you've got too much tension in the cable? If this is the case it will limit the movement of the derailleur when you change to the smaller front chainwheel. If this is the 11 speed 105 FD, they are quite sensitive to incorrect set up and it's best to follow the dealer's manual on the Shimano website if you want to get it right.

Would this still be applicable even though I've got the cable released?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Sounds like you've exhausted all the adjustment options. I think you're best recourse now is to the retailer you bought it from.
If worst comes to worst you can reject it and return it for a replacement or refund within 14 days, this is your legal right but I'm sure you can sort something with the seller.

Last edited:

iluvmybike

Über Member
Yeah, the shifter is in low position, not low trim.

The problem is, when in low, it won't go far enough towards the frame to make a 0.5-1mm clearance from the plastic insert.
Disconnect the cable - then set the L limit - reconnect & tension as appropiate. But if this is a new bike you should have taken it back to the shop instead of all the messing about you have done

minininjarob

I've had this before and solved it by moving the mech up the seat tube a bit - the shape of the rear plate on the mech seems to need it to be a bit higher nowadays. 1990's groupsets I always remember worked best when the mechs were as low as possible so the outer cage just cleared the outer ring but newer ones seem to like a bit more clearance.

Top Bottom