Shimano 105 Indexing Stress!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dic Deryn

Über Member
Hi all.

I have recently set about replacing my 105 11spd derailleur due to wear and tear of about 6,000 miles of riding in all Welsh weathers. This is a job I have done on my other bikes previously, so not a complete newby, but, I am finding the set up to be a bit of challenging, namely getting all 11 gears to work!!! The new set up is a Shimano R7000 GS derailleur fitted to a 32-11 11 speed cassette, with Shimano 11 speed R5800 shifter.

I have approached the set up as I would any other, set limit screws, adjust tension etc. However, I can only seem to 10 gears, either the at the top or bottom of the range. Is there a compatibility issue between the older and newer set ups? Or am I missing something obvious?

Any help most appreciated.

Cheers
Darren

Milkfloat

An Peanut
They should mix and match fine https://productinfo.shimano.com/#/com/2.3?acid=C-453&cid=C-453

I am astounded that you need to change your RD after just 6k miles, I would say it is not even close to being run in.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Hah! You should try a triple! With trimming. Gaaggghh.

But to your issue: If you are 100% certain you have the limiting screws set up perfectly, then in my experience it is always a cable tension issue. On mine there is a barrel adjuster by the mech and one on the down tube. The latter for fine adjustments. Remember anti-clockwise to increase tension and vice versa.

That said once you're done 105 is such a great value set.

(and YouTube is your friend)

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
I would be looking to replace cables too. Inner and outer to be sure. I take it the shifter is the one previously on the bike? Either way are you getting 10 clicks out of it to give you 11 shifts? Sorry if this sounds condescending, I'm sure you would notice.

Deffo cable tension or possibly bent hanger?

Also as Salty says double check you have the cable set with the shifter at it's bottom setting;it's surprisingly easy to miss.

OP
OP
Dic Deryn

Dic Deryn

Über Member
Shifting problems more likely to be cable related rather than mech. If you haven't replaced cables, do that, and then fish discarded Rear Mech from bin.

Sorry guys. Both inner and outer cables have been replaced. Although, that said:

I would be looking to replace cables too. Inner and outer to be sure. I take it the shifter is the one previously on the bike? Either way are you getting 10 clicks out of it to give you 11 shifts? Sorry if this sounds condescending, I'm sure you would notice.

the shifter gave 9 clicks when I checked this earlier, I guess that it may be a shifter fault (105 11 speed), never experienced this before, I guess I need to get a replacement....

They should mix and match fine https://productinfo.shimano.com/#/com/2.3?acid=C-453&cid=C-453

I am astounded that you need to change your RD after just 6k miles, I would say it is not even close to being run in.

Point taken, although the original RD was a R5800 Short Cage, so the upgrade was to accommodate a 32-11 rear cassette as much as anything.

Many thanks for the help guys

Hi all.

I have recently set about replacing my 105 11spd derailleur due to wear and tear of about 6,000 miles of riding in all Welsh weathers. This is a job I have done on my other bikes previously, so not a complete newby, but, I am finding the set up to be a bit of challenging, namely getting all 11 gears to work!!! The new set up is a Shimano R7000 GS derailleur fitted to a 32-11 11 speed cassette, with Shimano 11 speed R5800 shifter.

I have approached the set up as I would any other, set limit screws, adjust tension etc. However, I can only seem to 10 gears, either the at the top or bottom of the range. Is there a compatibility issue between the older and newer set ups? Or am I missing something obvious?

Any help most appreciated.

Cheers
Darren
The cable route is strange on the R7000 derailleur. You need to feed the cable down through the little hole on the left of the clamp bolt, and up on the right.

A629701F-0C6F-4C3D-B6B6-0BF592F203BC.jpeg

Like this.

Not like this.

8B3B291B-D321-4CEB-8A47-CAAC1484EFF0.jpeg

If that makes sense.

If you route it like the second photo ( down on the right, up on the left ( the wrong way ) the cable will lie across the limit screws, and you’ll never get it to index.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Hah! You should try a triple! With trimming. Gaaggghh.

But to your issue: If you are 100% certain you have the limiting screws set up perfectly, then in my experience it is always a cable tension issue. On mine there is a barrel adjuster by the mech and one on the down tube. The latter for fine adjustments. Remember anti-clockwise to increase tension and vice versa.

That said once you're done 105 is such a great value set.

(and YouTube is your friend)

Bar end shifter on friction sorts out your triple trimming nonsense. Piece of piss to replace cable at roadside as well.

OP
OP
Dic Deryn

Dic Deryn

Über Member
The cable route is strange on the R7000 derailleur. You need to feed the cable down through the little hole on the left of the clamp bolt, and up on the right.

View attachment 462843

Like this.

Not like this.

View attachment 462845

If that makes sense.

If you route it like the second photo ( down on the right, up on the left ( the wrong way ) the cable will lie across the limit screws, and you’ll never get it to index.

Agreed the routing is a new one on me, but managed it thanks to the pronounced hole etc. Deffo 1 to watch out for!

OP
OP
Dic Deryn

Dic Deryn

Über Member
Problem solved, faulty shifter, clicking 9 times instead of 10. Couple of shifters off e bay and I am all set for the local Reliability Trial with Clwb Beicio Dwyfor in the morning.

Many thanks for all your helpful and interesting advice and suggestions one and all...

Top Bottom