Shimano 105, mixing generations.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
No idea. I'm officially out of my depth on this one now. Whatever you choose, good luck - and maybe don't do your first test ride on a steep descent! ^_^

OP
OP
M

markc94

No idea. I'm officially out of my depth on this one now. Whatever you choose, good luck - and maybe don't do your first test ride on a steep descent! ^_^

Had a bit of a panic moment earlier and called up to cancel my brake order! I can't afford to get STI-EV levers if they don't work with the Tektro! :blush:

Been looking at the Miche Performance brakes (a pair for £25) ? Again I'm completely unsure at what levers would work though :sad:

Hate being a newbie :tongue:

Ajax Bay

Guru
I . . . bought some 5800 105's. Going to see what levers I can get to fit them
My recommendation is to fit the 5800 calipers to the rear, leaving the cable and brake lever as is; and go and try it out. If the power and modulation seems OK then do the same on the front. And trial again. I have measured the cable pull on levers of a similar vintage to your 600s and they pull 9mm (but could pull more). This effects movement in the single pivot calipers of about the same: the blocks are further from the rims than they should be. This length of pull is more than enough to achieve effective braking using 5800 calipers. The match up may not be optimal, but provided the modulation is acceptable to you and the lever/caliper achieves braking effect of sufficient strength for your hand size and finger strength then I would not spend significant money on more levers, and certainly not STIs (just to use as brake levers).
Edit: Off topic but you may find that replacing the current blocks/pads with a set of quality ones with your current single pivot calipers achieves the improvement in braking that I assume is your ultimate aim.

Last edited:
Top Bottom