shimano 105 rear derailleur problem.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

so solid crew

Hi All, I'm now at my wits end. I am unable to get the full range of gears on my rear derailleur. I have recently fitted a new mech hanger, a new chain & a new gear cable & I'm getting from the lower cog up to about half way up the cassette. also the sprockets & chain are moving in a linear motion outwards rather than towards the wheel. any ideas?
Many thanks

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
did you have the shifter in the smallest cog when you set the initial cable tension ?

Ajax Bay

Guru
also the sprockets & chain are moving in a linear motion outwards rather than towards the wheel. any ideas?
If you are saying that with every click 'up' the RD is moving down (the cassette) then maybe:
Rapidrise derailleur? I have one of these: they're rather 'cool'.
Sprockets don't move laterally, linear or otherwise.
Limit screws unscrewed. With cable disconnected, can you move the RD the full extent needed, by hand? Is the new hanger vertical?

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
If you've released the cable and you can push the details across the full range of the cassette by hand then @cyberknight 's suggestion is the most likely. Or of course if it's from the nineties could be a rapid rise as Ajax suggests.

Reactions: C R

Gunk

Guru
A method I was taught years ago is to set it up on the second smallest cog and then release the tension in the cable using the adjuster screw on the rear mech until the chain jumps on to the smallest cog. It usually indexes perfectly using this method

si_c

Guru
It's most likely a combination of not straight hanger and cable tension. It's worth keeping in mind that just because the derailleur hanger is new doesn't mean it's aligned correctly, you still need to check it is straight.

Top Bottom