shimano 105 vs deore xt

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

muffinski

Any thoughts on which might be better on a tourer that is also going to be used as a commuter?

Condor offer these two groupsets on their Heritage but both are the same price.

XT is more suitable for carrying luggage up hills. Lower granny gear and all that.

andym

Über Member
muffinski said:
Is there any difference in strenght?

I'd very much doubt it, but you could try comparing the weights as a very rough proxy for strength. I've not heard of anyone busting a mech though.

GrahamG

Guru
You could argue that 9 speed (XT) will be a little more robust than the 10 speed (105) - either way, chains and cassettes will be a little cheaper for the former and probably more widely available thanks to the popularity of mountain bikes.

*Edit - definitely MTB group if going to be used as a tourer, I'm in the middle of faffing with road triple equipped bikes to lower gearing for a tour right now!

This is going to be a rather nice bike to commute on - have you thought of something lower maintenance/cheaper for commuting duties?

Pottsy

As said previously, you get cassettes with greater ranges and lower gearing in general with XT.

Personally I think 105 suits a lighter, audax type tourer and perhaps XT for a more rugged, expedition type tourer. That's purely an image in my mind though.

I built my Surly LHT with XT.

Does the type of gear shifters you want make a difference with compatibility? (I ask to anyone generally). i.e. STIs on the drops, bar-ends for simplicity, MTB style for flat bars etc. Just a thought.

OP
OP
M

muffinski

Because I intend to use the bike as an all rounder ie for commuting and sunday rides etc I feel that STI's will be more practical than bar ends, especially in London traffic. However am I told that bar ends are more reliable due to having less moving parts (7?) to than STI's

andym

Über Member
Adrian - yes I've got the SLX on one of my bikes. I haven't put it to much of a test but it's a nice, quality bit of kit, that's reassuringly solid and seems every bit as robust as XT so I'd definitely give it a go.

Muffinski - yes I think there are issues about compatibility - but I'm wracking my brains to remember what they are. I think that road and MTB front mechs operate with different cable pulls (which you could get round if you have STIs with friction mode for the front). But it could be the other way round - or it might have nothing to do with cable pull. Ring Condor (make them do some work for their money) - and then post the answer!

I don't know where you live in London, but I find that I rarely need to change gears so I'm sure bar ends would be perfectly feasible.

Danny

Legendary Member
muffinski said:
Because I intend to use the bike as an all rounder ie for commuting and sunday rides etc I feel that STI's will be more practical than bar ends, especially in London traffic. However am I told that bar ends are more reliable due to having less moving parts (7?) to than STI's
Modern STIs are pretty reliable. I have tried bar end shifters and found them a pain to use even for touring, as I spend most of my time riding on the hoods not the drops.

My tourer has Deore gears with Compag Veloce shifters, which work a treat.

andym

Über Member
Oh I was going to say that the other alternative to bare ends in the erm bar end is is to convert them to thumbies and put them on top of the bar.

17430shimano_l.jpg

(From SJS Cycles, he said stating the blindingly obvious).

Expensive though at £85. I like the simplicity, but I doubt there's any real benefit in terms of reliability.

Any chance Condor would let you mix and match? On my (new:biggrin:) Kona Sutra I have a Tiagra front mech witha 50/39/30 triple and an XT back mech which allows an 11-34 cassette.

At the top end I'm 50-11 so I will take me a lot to spinout going downhill, and at the bottom I'm 30-34 which should be enough fully laden up most hills.

The mix and match means i have bar end changers which will take a bit of getting used to after the rapidfires on my Cannondale, but I don't see it being too much of a problem (mind you i've never used STi so perhaps don't know what I'm missing)

Top Bottom