shimano 105 vs deore xt

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
muffinski said:
They might do. How you getting on with the "new" sutra how does it handle without panniers etc?

Sorry for the late reply the bike is so new (and I'd been having brake issues, see tech section) I hadn't had sufficent of a ride on it to give a proper answer:blush:.

However, just for you I took it out on my commute this morning:biggrin:

Commute is 70m downhill over a km then 200m uphill over 3km, some at greater than 1 in 10, then 4km to descend 300 metres. This includes one 500m stretch down hill over cobbles (not nasty Flemish ones but still rather bumpy).

Comparision is with my M800 on (26x1.75) travel contacts at 70ish psi.

Downhill nice and stable, not as fast as a road bike but considerable faster than the M800 due in large part to the higher gearing and general confidence in the ride which was much more gentle in terms of road buzz and and smooth round teh bends where it held a nice line.

Uphill, .....well I got up the hill, with the granny to spare, (in my defense the saddle needs to go up a bit and I was on flats not the usual clipless also I'm fat and unfit:sad:).

Cobbles:, bouncy but there is nice comfy tape on the oversized bars so there was less buzz than previously even with the narower profile tyres.

Roadworks, okay over the sand, loose gravel and broken tarmac which has mysteriously replaced one of the streets.

Overall, I'm very happy with the bike, I wasn't looking for a speed machine but something I could ride in a relaxed way on a weekend and do a bit of touring on. also I have it in blue and it is a great colour

Caveat: never trust anything I say about bikes themselves. My roadbike is a Peugeot comete (yes the one with the US recall) and for my MTB I nearly bought a Kirk revolution:ohmy:
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=40664&highlight=kirk

twowheelsgood

The 46T XT (not the 44T MTB version) will be about perfect for touring, whereas the 52T 105 will be too high.

Cassettes and chains are interchangeable, the only decision you have to make is to match the front deraiilieur with the crankset as road will not work properly with MTB and vice versa (I think the MTB is spaced wider).

Crankarm

Guru
It is my understanding that the XT hubs have better seals on them than the road Shimano hubs so would be better for touring where roads and weather are not so good. Also they might well be more robust as they have specially treated ball bearings to increase durability according to Shimano. I got an XT 36H 9 spd rear hub in preference to Ultegra for this reason for my hybrid tourer with an Ultegra 12-25 cassette which is a lot lighter and just as strong if not stronger than equivalent XT cassettes. I have retained the Deore MTB triple mech on the front from when the bike had MTB gearing and now fitted a Campag Record triple 53-42-30 chainset. A Deore long cage deraillieur on the the rear. I have a new XT long cage which is currently a spare. I have an XT or Ultegra 9 spd chain on it I cannot remember off hand which. Everything works fine and I have a tremendous range of gears. I have been known to carry the odd heavy load although try to travel light. There isn't anything I haven't been able to get up or spin out on when on this bike.

andym

Über Member
I've got both XT and Ultegra hubs - I'd honestly say I don't think there's anything to choose between them in terms of sealing. So far as I can tell the bearings on both bog-standard stainless steel. On the other hand, XTR hubs do have a special treatment on the races to increase bearing life and they are very well sealed as well.

Crankarm

Guru
I looked into the difference a couple of years back and the seals on the XT were either more substantial or there was an extra one in view of the off road use they would be put to in comparison to the road bike hubs whose seals are fine for the use they are put to on the road. Shimano claim the XT hubs are fitted with ball bearings that have an extra hard protective coating of Boron or Zirco...Sorry I don't have the spec or blurb to hand. I'm sure it's on their website. Dura-Ace is just silly money IMHO but obviously it is an available spec should one feel the need...

Crankarm

Guru
andym said:
No, you're confusing the races with the bearings. And XT with XTR.

I'm not confusing anything. You mentioned Dura Ace which is road spec and now you mention XTR which is the quivalent spec for Dura Ace but for MTBs. My 36H XT hubs have hardened ball bearings please read my post. I neither want to have to dig around Shimano's website or through my box of cycling component leaflets right now just to prove to you that this is the case. So you'll just have to take my word for it at the mo I'm afraid.

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
My LHT has XT with Dura Ace bar-ends, works a treat.

andym

Über Member
Crankarm said:
I'm not confusing anything. You mentioned Dura Ace which is road spec and now you mention XTR which is the quivalent spec for Dura Ace but for MTBs. My 36H XT hubs have hardened ball bearings please read my post. I neither want to have to dig around Shimano's website or through my box of cycling component leaflets right now just to prove to you that this is the case. So you'll just have to take my word for it at the mo I'm afraid.

Erm no I didn't mention Dura-Ace. I mentioned XTR because the XTR hubs have boron-coated races. SFAIK XT don't, but Shimano may have changed the spec.

Crankarm

Guru
andym said:
Erm no I didn't mention Dura-Ace. I mentioned XTR because the XTR hubs have boron-coated races. SFAIK XT don't, but Shimano may have changed the spec.

I stand corrected you didn't mention Dura-Ace I did ;). But you did XTR as you've now clarified. I'll dig out the spec I think my XT hubs are as per above.

Edwardsayshi

Any thoughts on which might be better on a tourer that is also going to be used as a commuter?

Condor offer these two groupsets on their Heritage but both are the same price.

XT is better for going uphill and carrying luggage. I live in a mountainous area, but enjoy riding on the local roads. I also run a lot of errands such as local shopping while riding. Sometimes I just like to go out and ride for fun and fitness. I combined the XT rear cassette and shifters with a hybrid road front crankset. This gives me comfortable climbing ability and decent speed on the roads. I placed them on a Marin Hybrid so it suits the build of the bike. The hybrid front crankset allows room for the XT combination in the rear to climb and gives me speed on the roads.

I'd go for the Deore.
And on a tourer, 9 speed.
On hubs, LX or equivelent rather than XT - stronger - XT became, for odd reasons, rather too interested in weight saving.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
attachment.png

Top Bottom