Shimano 4700 compatibility query

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

atlantis

Hi !

I have the 4700 crankset, Fd and Rd.
The brifters are pretty expensive , hence I was looking at bar ends.
I have read online, that the pull ratio of Shimano 11 speed shifters is similar to the tiagra 4700. if this is true ! can I use Microshift 11 speed bar ends with my 4700 rear derailleur (with a 10 speed cassette)

I would be thankful if someone who has the same setup ,could chime in.

S-Express

Why not just use 10 speed bar end shifters? Or any other Shimano 10 speed shifter/brake combo?

gaijintendo

Veteran
Hi !

I have the 4700 crankset, Fd and Rd.
The brifters are pretty expensive , hence I was looking at bar ends.
I have read online, that the pull ratio of Shimano 11 speed shifters is similar to the tiagra 4700. If this is true ! can I use Microshift 11 speed bar ends with my 4700 rear derailleur (with a 10 speed cassette)

I would be thankful if someone who has the same setup ,could chime in.

I run a mix of 4600 and 4700 pretty much seamlessly, if that's another route to explore.

I was a bit confused by the pull ratios too, but I suspect you won't be might hit a wall with the 11 speed shifter. One click too many...

How I interpreted an earlier thread was that there is a change in leverage ratio, meaning how much you relax a cable to shift one ring. Looking forward to seeing the correct interpretation in this thread.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

atlantis

@express ! No actually, I had a 10 speed build in mind, i was about to order 10 speed bar ends(dura ace) , but I was clearly told that the 4700 shifting would not work with the older 10 speed shifters.

@gaijintendo Could you please tell me your mix of parts since I have the crankset, fd and rd

gaijintendo

Veteran
@express ! No actually, I had a 10 speed build in mind, i was about to order 10 speed bar ends(dura ace) , but I was clearly told that the 4700 shifting would not work with the older 10 speed shifters.

@gaijintendo Could you please tell me your mix of parts since I have the crankset, fd and rd

4700 shifters, 4700 rear 4600 fd and 4600 casette. The reason for the 4600 fd was the 4700 rubbed my 32c tyre. I have the 4600 rd on standby.

I guess that leaves the 10 shifter unanswered. Someone might be able to give a definitive answer. I have another 4600 105 mix bike too.

Things seem to work of you don't have any remainders.

OP
OP
A

atlantis

4700 shifters, 4700 rear 4600 fd and 4600 casette. The reason for the 4600 fd was the 4700 rubbed my 32c tyre. I have the 4600 rd on standby.
Yes you have it sorted, the 4700 shifter mated to the rd, my issue is more " how do I get the 4700 rd to shift flawlessly "
Waiting for more answers

zigzag

Veteran
if you already have microshift 11sp bar end shifters it's worth giving it a go. 10sp shimano bar end shifters will not work, as they pull less cable per shift than 4700 rear mech requires.

zigzag

Veteran
i think it should sort of work (but haven't tried this myself). you can put a wheel with a 10sp cassette into a full 11sp bike and it will shift ok (must be an 11sp chain too).

gaijintendo

Veteran
I appreciate it's twice the price, but If you are in the UK £122 (£111 with BC discount) seems pretty reasonable to eliminate any niggles with shifting...

atlantis, don't rule out picking up shifters on ebay. I managed to get a like new 5700 STI lever for £21, presumably people with more money than sense buy a pair when they need just one to replace a damaged lever, and then sell the unwanted lever. If you're patient, you can get some bargains, particularly if you are not bothered about getting used items, or the retail packaging.

That said, I recently installed bar ends on my surly long haul trucker and loved them, so worth exploring also.

Top Bottom