Shimano Acera front derailleur lever

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

plustwos

The shifter (forgive ignorance) transfers the chain smoothly and accurately but the "raise" lever needs so much thumb and wrist movement that I fear an attack of arthritis. Can someone point me to instructions for adjusting it please? Down tube levers were so simple - sigh.
TIA Ken

Milkfloat

An Peanut
The shifter (forgive ignorance) transfers the chain smoothly and accurately but the "raise" lever needs so much thumb and wrist movement that I fear an attack of arthritis. Can someone point me to instructions for adjusting it please? Down tube levers were so simple - sigh.
TIA Ken
Sounds more like sticky cables/bad routing to me. Does it change down to a smaller cog easily?

Reactions: C R

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Renew the inner and outer cable but before you do give the shifter a good flush with WD40. If it's an older bike they get bunged up with muck over time hindering smooth operation.

OP
OP
plustwos

plustwos

Just to be clear it is the 3 ring chainwheel I'm writing about. I can go from small to large and back easily, in fact I'm impressed by the modern set-up. My old bike is much less smooth. The bike is new and the upward movement has been rather larger than the rear gears from the beginning, but I am in the process of switching bars from straight to trekker and the routing is different, but no different from my old bike which also has trekker bars. And the routing is the same as that for the rear sprocket, but opposite , if you get my meaning.
Ken

midlife

Guru
The brifters on my Basso need a real swing of the lever to move the front mech I just assumed that was the pull ratio and couldn’t be changed ?

Don't spray anything into the thumb shifters. They are factory filled with grease and wd40 will remove it all. Let someone else make all your mistakes first.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Check the cable is anchored on the 'inside' (ie nearest the bike's centre line) of the clamp bolt. This maximises the leverage (or conversely, if you have it clamped on the 'wrong' side, the angles make the force required much more). No spraying into trigger shifters, as Michael says.

OP
OP
plustwos

plustwos

Thank you for responses, especially the WD40 warning; it's my favourite tiple. I had been swopping bars and to mount an e-bike control had to re-arrange things. The shifter became suddenly docile. I find it difficult to believe cable run can make so much difference. Seventy odd years of experience and still egg on my face.
Ken

Top Bottom