Shimano Alfine 8 7001

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CXRAndy

Guru
Im just about to order my geared hub, but are getting a little confused with what does or doesnt come with the hub.

I want to use a rapid fire flat bar shifter, 20t gear.

What else do I need to make it work, cables external mech etc?

Does it come with the cassette arm?
You also need a disk rotor and two tabbed anti rotation axle washers and axle nuts

As above, however, you need to know what style of dropout you'll be fitting it to. These anti-rotation washers come in vertical, horizontal and slanted. They are colour-coded and not interchangeable.
Also, you may need a tensioner.

When you buy the hub, you get only the hub, all other things are extras, including the shifters. Something you'll have to figure out, if it is conversion job on a frame meant for derailers, is how you will anchor the shifter cable housing at the hub end.

If you are going to buy the tensioner, consider buying one I have. It is still in the box since I never needed it for the conversion I did.

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
The bike its going on is a Genesis Day One with horizontal dropouts. Ive seen these shifting kits that connect on the outer hub body to facilitate shifting, but there seems to be several almost identical types, most include anti rotation tabs and capped nuts for the axle

Also there is a concertina rubber boot for the cable, do i specifically need this or just an outer cable cover with aluminium ferrule?
I cant find a part number for the cable outer, or does it come with rapid fire shifter?

Last edited:
The bike its going on is a Genesis Day One with horizontal dropouts. Ive seen these shifting kits that connect on the outer hub body to facilitate shifting, but there seems to be several almost identical types, most include anti rotation tabs and capped bolts for the axle

Also there is a concertina rubber boot for the cable, do i specifically need this or just an outer cable cover with aluminium ferrule?
I cant find a part number for the cable outer, or does it come with rapid fire shifter?
Cable outers almost never come with shifters. Sometimes they do include inners though.
With the rest I can't help you. Sorry. I last did this many years ago and it is all lost in the mist of time.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Im just about to order my geared hub, but are getting a little confused with what does or doesnt come with the hub.

I want to use a rapid fire flat bar shifter, 20t gear.

What else do I need to make it work, cables external mech etc?

You'll need this small parts set for horizontal dropouts : https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy...set-sm-s7000-8-for-horizontal-dropouts-621573
You'll see also on the same page (frequently bought together) the other items you need: shifter, cable and outer casing holder.

This pdf shows how to put it all together and the tools required: https://si.shimano.com/pdfs/dm/DM-SG0004-02-ENG.pdf

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
You'll need this small parts set for horizontal dropouts : https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy...set-sm-s7000-8-for-horizontal-dropouts-621573
You'll see also on the same page (frequently bought together) the other items you need: shifter, cable and outer casing holder.

This pdf shows how to put it all together and the tools required: https://si.shimano.com/pdfs/dm/DM-SG0004-02-ENG.pdf

Many thanks for the links, alot clearer now:okay:

One more question, I've heard its prudent to add either ATF or gear oil from the non drive side, about 25-40mil to provide better lubrication of the inner workings.

Is this correct for the SG-S7001-8 hub?

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless

One more question, I've heard its prudent to add either ATF or gear oil from the non drive side, about 25-40mil to provide better lubrication of the inner workings.

That hub is packed with grease so I don't see what good putting ATF or gear oil to a brand new hub would do. Wouldn't that just break down the grease, which is presumably the ideal lube for the job?

No, don't do this. Besides, what do you mean "from the non drive side" Do you mean from the left? Even so, it is unclear.

ATF fluid and Gear Oil are two completely different things. Completely.

Nevertheless, don't follow remedies from the internet. Your hub will come with service instructions and recommended oil.
It is pretty simple. Do an early oil change after however many miles Shimano specifies. Then, do them at the given intervals using the recommended oil.
It is simple, albeit messy.

Alfine 8 are filled with grease but maintenance operation is an oil dip.
You disassemble and remove the innards, dip them in a jar of special gear oil and reassemble. If you can regrease a std hub then this is similar level of difficulty.
Many Alfine users (inc me) use cheap standard Automatic Transmission Fluid instead of £50/ litre stuff.

I would recommend oil dip after a few months of use then annually.
For -5c and below, oil dip prevents the gears freezing in place overnight which takes about 20 mins pedalling at 0c to work up the heat to change gear.

Alifine 11 has an oil change port.

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Alfine 8 are filled with grease but maintenance operation is an oil dip.
You disassemble and remove the innards, dip them in a jar of special gear oil and reassemble. If you can regrease a std hub then this is similar level of difficulty.
Many Alfine users (inc me) use cheap standard Automatic Transmission Fluid instead of £50/ litre stuff.

I would recommend oil dip after a few months of use then annually.
For -5c and below, oil dip prevents the gears freezing in place overnight which takes about 20 mins pedalling at 0c to work up the heat to change gear.

Alifine 11 has an oil change port.
:okay:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Nevertheless, don't follow remedies from the internet. Your hub will come with service instructions and recommended oil.
It is pretty simple. Do an early oil change after however many miles Shimano specifies. Then, do them at the given intervals using the recommended oil.
It is simple, albeit messy.
To be fair, there's a lot of fairly sound-looking opinion out there that the official service instructions and recommended oil for Alfines are both expensive and inadequate for daily use in our salty wet road conditions, most graphically http://www.rideyourbike.com/shimanoIGH.shtml - however, doing anything unofficial will probably void any warranty so I'd stick to the official if I'd got a warranty (I didn't, so I switched my Nexus 3 to semi-fluid grease without further problems)

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
To be fair, there's a lot of fairly sound-looking opinion out there that the official service instructions and recommended oil for Alfines are both expensive and inadequate for daily use in our salty wet road conditions, most graphically http://www.rideyourbike.com/shimanoIGH.shtml - however, doing anything unofficial will probably void any warranty so I'd stick to the official if I'd got a warranty (I didn't, so I switched my Nexus 3 to semi-fluid grease without further problems)

I was looking at semi fluid grease supplies, which product do you use?

Top Bottom