Shimano Alfine 8 7001

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
LandRover front swivel grease - but remember, I'm using 3 speeds which are much less complicated/precise and if you've just ordered yours, don't you want to keep the warranty live?

Im not too concerned after the first year, ill probably do about 1500 miles first year . I want the best long term reliability.

I have been reading the forums where posters who service and repair geared hubs, alot advocate either doing the dip or adding a small amount of gear oil to provide better long term reliability. Does a heavier grade oil perform better or does ATF works just as well?

Im not too concerned after the first year, ill probably do about 1500 miles first year . I want the best long term reliability.

I have been reading the forums where posters who service and repair geared hubs, alot advocate either doing the dip or adding a small amount of gear oil to provide better long term reliability. Does a heavier grade oil perform better or does ATF works just as well?
Andy, do you really think those guys have done meaningful comparisons? It is more a case of individuals coming up with their own concoctions.

Gear oil and AFT are not even REMOTELY similar. They are designed to do different things. The clue is in the name. If one of them is suitable for one thing, the other will be completely unsuitable and vice versa.

Further, no argument that includes "Salt Roads" is valid. The road salt does not get into the hub. We know that because the hub lasts more than just a few weeks when riding in the salt. Had salt water got inside, it would be trash before the week is over.

GuyBoden

Guru
I've just got one of these Alfine 8 hubs, on a used 2016 Ridgeback Flight 4.

The gears were slipping badly and freewheeling intermittently. I knew this when I bought the bike, the price reflected this.

Stripped the hub down to the internals and separated the internals. (Not very difficult.)

The bearings were worn badly and brown with rust.

The internal gear mechanism was coated in manufacturers white grease, but not a lot.

Degreased the internals with Carb cleaner and left it to dry.

Oiled the internals with gear box oil.

Coated the whole internals, inside and out, with lots of semi-fluid liquid grease.

Renewed the cone bearings and greased them with waterproof Marine grease.

Reassembled the hub etc, went out for a short ride, all 8 gears were working fine, so I went for a longer ride.

All 8 gears are working well up to now, time will tell.........

GuyBoden

Guru
shimano alfine guidelines.png

The Shimano guidelines for the Alfine hub are an interesting read.

The main point is regular cleaning and re-greasing of the rear hub internals and bearings. I might try twice a year.

The "Avoid using the hub in places where water might get inside", made me laugh, so does this mean no riding on UK roads in the rain.:laugh:

The "stop pedalling or reduce the force" when changing gear is interesting too, I wonder how many riders of this hub actually actually do this.

I'm guessing that the bike I bought had been frequently jet washed, because the front and back hub ball bearings were brown with rust and no grease.

Many think this hub could be improved with an oil bath, but that would need good seals, so that the oil wouldn't leak and also get onto the Disc brake. Any ideas for a sealant?

Last edited:

Nibor

Bewildered
The installation guide seems to advocate continuous outer cable run from bars to hub is there any reason one shouldn't have sections of exposed cables as my frame does have intenal cable routing?

D

Deleted member 23692

... is there any reason one shouldn't have sections of exposed cables as my frame does have internal cable routing?
I've been running mine with an exposed inner cable for over two years and I've not noticed any difference to my old setup with a continuous outer.

As I'm running mine on a ebike conversion, I'd have thought the extra torque of the motor would have highlighted any problems long before now

Having an exposed inner does make it oh so very slightly more difficult to measure the the location of the cable bolt at the hub end. You just an an extra hand to pull the cable taut whilst you measure (and nip the nut up)

GuyBoden

Guru
Sealing the brake disc axle side with silicon and letting it dry, stopped the semi-liquid grease in the hub from weeping out and onto the brake disc.

Nibor

Bewildered
I've been running mine with an exposed inner cable for over two years and I've not noticed any difference to my old setup with a continuous outer.

As I'm running mine on a ebike conversion, I'd have thought the extra torque of the motor would have highlighted any problems long before now

Having an exposed inner does make it oh so very slightly more difficult to measure the the location of the cable bolt at the hub end. You just an an extra hand to pull the cable taut whilst you measure (and nip the nut up)
Is it 145 mm?

Top Bottom