Shimano Cable Replacement Project Wish List

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Soon after winter proper I like, but don’t always, replace all my gear and brake cables. I’m also due some new, sharp cable cutters. About 7000km on the bike.

I run Shimano 105 triple (10speed) and Shimano 105 brake levers (for clarification) Shall I just be lazy this year and get the ‘sets’ for about £15 that have the inner, outer, ferrules etc in the pack? Or have you got a better idea?

And what cable cutter for inner, outer and ferrule crimper do you recommend?

Thank you as always.

I’m going to replace the bar tape at the same time. Any other things you like to do as a post winter spruce up? (Chain is still fairly new)

Slioch

Guru
I've had several sets of "budget" cable cutters - all were crap.
I eventually opened the wallet wide enough to buy the Park Tools ones, which are brilliant.
The old adage is true for cable cutters - "buy cheap, buy twice".

U

User6179

Soon after winter proper I like, but don’t always, replace all my gear and brake cables. I’m also due some new, sharp cable cutters. About 7000km on the bike.

I run Shimano 105 triple (10speed) and Shimano 105 brake levers (for clarification) Shall I just be lazy this year and get the ‘sets’ for about £15 that have the inner, outer, ferrules etc in the pack? Or have you got a better idea?

And what cable cutter for inner, outer and ferrule crimper do you recommend?

Thank you as always.

I’m going to replace the bar tape at the same time. Any other things you like to do as a post winter spruce up? (Chain is still fairly new)

Just did my gear cables on two bikes, bought these https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-sp40-road-mtb-outer-gear-casing-pre-cut-/rp-prod149879

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
I bought some X Tools cable cutters and they are rather good, they cut inners and otters with ease:smile:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
41h1WBOzD3L._SY450_.jpg

Globalti

Legendary Member
My first Park Tools cable cutters died when I used them to cut open a loop the electrician had left in the upstairs ring main for me to fit a socket. What he hadn't realised was that he had pulled out a loop from the downstairs ring main, which runs in the first floor. I turned off the upstairs ring and cut.... and BANG! A big flash and the blades of my Park Tools cutter were spark-eroded and useless. So I bought another pair because they are the best.

Top Bottom