Shimano, Campagnolo, SRAM

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

XOXO
Campagnolo - the original and best!

I prefer the look and feel of their stuff over Shimano. Never used SRAM so can't compare to them.

vickster

Legendary Member
SRAM over shimano due to hood ergonomics

Can't comment on campag but don't think I'd like the button shift

mattobrien

Guru
I currently have SRAM red on one bike and Shimano 105 on the other. While the gruppos are at different levels, I much prefer SRAM and the mechanics way it works. I love the double tap feature and the ability to be able to control gears by only using one level.

Also SRAM seems to be engaged and ready to change gear in a much small movement than Shimano. By that I mean I would have double tapped on SRAM before I would have made a single change on Shimano The system just feels tighter and more responsive.

That said, my Shimano system works very well and having just had it fitted to a new bike, works much better than before - probably due to it being set up better than before and also having better cables.

If I had only ever had 105, then I wouldn't be unhappy with it (and I am not), but I personally prefer SRAM and in time will change my Shimano bike over to it.

I haven't tried Campag, so can't comment on it or any electrical systems.

Ive got campag on one bike and 105 on another, I think I prefer 105 for sprinting and Campag for climbing but I'm not particular. Ive also got sora (thumb trigger) on the turbo bike (not ridden it for a while); sora is fine for the turbo but on road it is vastly inferior compared to Campag and 105. Never had SRAM so I don't know how it compares. Overall the bike frame is more important to me.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
SRAM, on as close as a "like for like" basis as you can compare, it is lighter and cheaper.

Less objectively speaking, it looks better and the shifts are much quicker!

martinireland

Leisure Cyclist
Ive only ever used shimano and Im happy with the performance. I have used only 105 and below........... cause I am not fit enough to use ultegra or dura ace.:becool:

The are smooth when well maintained...... have the thumb shifters and ive no issues with them.

OP
OP
Boyfrom64

Boyfrom64

Veteran
Firstly thanks for your replies.

It is interesting to see your opinions and how Campagnolo and SRAM seem to be favoured over Shimano.

Personally I only have experience of Shimano; and the very bottom level of their range i.e. the 2300 on my entry level Secteur however, as I intend to get a new bike this year I am keen to test out both Campagnolo and SRAM groupsets.

I do appreciate that if I moved up the Shimano groupset range to say 105 for example I am sure I would notice a difference to my current set-up, but as a lot of bikes are offered with different manufacturers groupsets, plus I have seen bikes on this site where the rider has had his LBS swap out the fitted groupset for another manufacturer I was keen to canvass opinions of members of this site.

Many thanks,

Steve

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
I have SRAM XO on my MTB and its a great bit of kit... My biggest concern is the quality control and customer service side of SRAM it would be polite to say it is non existent
SRAM have found it acceptable to leave my road bike without components for over four months so far and it will take over six months form them to get my bike to the specification which I paid for.

Read the following thread for more information on my experiences.
http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/safety-recall-sram-road-hydraulic-brake-recall-–-stop-use-immediately.145545/

SS Retro

Horses for courses and all that!
I like the Italian horses very fine with a long traditional bloodline.
The Japanese horse is also good but very over bred I still prefer the Italian breed.
The American horse has a good following but I have never ridden one so cant comment.

Top Bottom