Safety Recall : SRAM road hydraulic brake recall – stop use immediately

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Mr Haematocrit

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
As someone who has had faultless experience from Shimano Dura-Ace products for many years and outstanding service I must admit that my first experience of SRAM Red is less than impressive so far, various parts of the groupset have been called back, this in the third time.
Im starting to wonder if SRAM have any quality control?

Andrew_P

In between here and there
As someone who has had faultless experience from Shimano Dura-Ace products for many years and outstanding service I must admit that my first experience of SRAM Red is less than impressive so far, various parts of the groupset have been called back, this in the third time.
Im starting to wonder if SRAM have any quality control?
SRAM Red 11speed in general or just the hydro stuff?

OP
OP
Mr Haematocrit

Mr Haematocrit

SRAM Red 11speed in general or just the hydro stuff?

The SRAM red has had one recall and the hydro components two recalls so far,
considering the cost involved and the fact its delaying me from getting my new bike, I'm a little less than impressed.
I have not received an explaination, apollogy, gesture gift or anything.

I'm aware that if you run the very latest and greatest, you are effectively a beta tester which I don't mind (been that for many years) but calling a product back three times, twice for the exactly same thing is pretty poor and I have questions such as 'was the pproduct tested enough prior to release' and 'what did you do during the first recall, and why is it not working?' along with 'did you not test your fix for the first recall properly'
Information for the customer is not forthcoming. At this time they can't even tell me when I'm getting them back.

Ordered Di2 11 speed Dura-Ace to tide me over at this time.

Last edited:

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
The article quotes 'a loss of pressure on the master cylinder seals in sub freezing temperatures'

zizou

Veteran
TRP and Shimano have also had recalls on their road discs in recent months. You would think that with the technology now being mature on mtbs that the design challenges to adapt it to road use wouldnt be particularly big.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
One is tempted to say that recalls affecting top o' the range groupsets which impact upon a relatively small group of non-professional cyclists and cause them angst are almost the very definition of a "1st world problem" :tongue:

I do hope my local coffee shop doesn't run out of soya lattes again today. :whistle:

OP
OP
Mr Haematocrit

Mr Haematocrit

The article quotes 'a loss of pressure on the master cylinder seals in sub freezing temperatures'

The system has been called back for once already for 'a loss of pressure on the master cylinder seals in sub freezing temperatures' . This makes me ask the following questions....
  • Why did the first recall not address the issues?
  • Why was it discovered that the issue still persisted once the components had been sent back to the customer?
  • Was the fix identified in the first recall tested sufficiently against this issue?
  • What makes SRAM confident that a second recall addresses the issues and what can be done to reassure customers?
  • Why SRAM customers or retailers have not been notified and have to find out from the press and contact SRAM themselves?
  • Why are SRAM staff are unable to provide the same consistent message to customers?
  • Why SRAM is unable to tell me when I can expect to have my brakes and shifters back, or even confirm that they have them.
Thinking of getting sram red next year, starting to think I shouldn't

I must admit that SRAM products have a great feel to them and look outstanding from the small experience I have had of riding them round my LBS and I am ultimately excited about seeing how the entire system compares to my usual choices (Dura-Ace Di2 with TRP Brakes).. I have no doubt that the system is going to be great (eventually)
My concern at this time is regarding SRAM as a company. The experiences so far with how they handle recall issues makes me question if they have the ability/desire to support their products. In the past 12 months I have had recalls issued by Specialized and TRP and both of these handled the problems exceptionally well with great communication and appreciated that it was inconvenient to the customer. SRAM on the other hand are acting as if it is inconvenient to them only.
My only advice is that if you are considering SRAM at this time, look for a well tested and widely used components as if you get any new technology and developments your paying to be part of their testing team for which customer service is lacking.

The system has been called back for once already for 'a loss of pressure on the master cylinder seals in sub freezing temperatures' . This makes me ask the following questions....
  • Why did the first recall not address the issues?
  • Why was it discovered that the issue still persisted once the components had been sent back to the customer?
  • Was the fix identified in the first recall tested sufficiently against this issue?
  • What makes SRAM confident that a second recall addresses the issues and what can be done to reassure customers?
  • Why SRAM customers or retailers have not been notified and have to find out from the press and contact SRAM themselves?
  • Why are SRAM staff are unable to provide the same consistent message to customers?
  • Why SRAM is unable to tell me when I can expect to have my brakes and shifters back, or even confirm that they have them.
The first recall was 'advisory'. When SRAM discovered the problem was widespread, a second, full 'stop riding' recall was issued. To say that this consitutes two recalls for the same problem fails to understand the process. SRAM communicates through its dealer network, so you should be asking your dealer these questions, and they should be asking SRAM.

I must admit that SRAM products have a great feel to them and look outstanding from the small experience I have had of riding them round my LBS and I am ultimately excited about seeing how the entire system compares to my usual choices (Dura-Ace Di2 with TRP Brakes).. I have no doubt that the system is going to be great (eventually)
My concern at this time is regarding SRAM as a company. The experiences so far with how they handle recall issues makes me question if they have the ability/desire to support their products. In the past 12 months I have had recalls issued by Specialized and TRP and both of these handled the problems exceptionally well with great communication and appreciated that it was inconvenient to the customer. SRAM on the other hand are acting as if it is inconvenient to them only.
My only advice is that if you are considering SRAM at this time, look for a well tested and widely used components as if you get any new technology and developments your paying to be part of their testing team for which customer service is lacking.

My own experience of a SRAM recall (several years ago for a Force caliper issue) was nothing short of excellent

OP
OP
Mr Haematocrit

Mr Haematocrit

The first recall was 'advisory'. When SRAM discovered the problem was widespread, a second, full 'stop riding' recall was issued. To say that this consitutes two recalls for the same problem fails to understand the process. SRAM communicates through its dealer network, so you should be asking your dealer these questions, and they should be asking SRAM.

I have communication from SRAM stating that the very first recall was completely necessary. I was 'advised' not to use the brakes
This year I have experienced recalls from, Specialized and TRP which were both handled in a professional manner with the customer informed throughout and apologies were made for inconvenience

My dealer found out about the recall the same way as I did, in the media and when I push my dealer for answers and information he has to contact them, they are not communicating or updating him regularly.
I have faith in my LBS and they are doing their very best to support me, I am even getting Di2 from them at an incredible price to tide me over.
SRAM can't even give me an ETA on when I'm going to get my stuff back or applogy for any inconvenience caused.

I'm exceptionally happy you had a wonderful experience with SRAM product recalls, but I have not had the same experience.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Have they only just realised thet they're terminally ugly?

hydrored2.jpg

:girl:

Top Bottom