Safety Recall : SRAM road hydraulic brake recall – stop use immediately

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Mr Haematocrit

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
Been advised that I should have them back by February :cry:
No offer of a tempoary alternative solution, sign of an apology yet. I really feel for those people who do not have other bikes to ride.

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Can't be doing 'ugly' on a road bike. It's a sin !:tongue:

J1780

3 recalls 2 of which are for the same thing. I'd say the customer is the product tester. That's terrible service. Personally I'd skip sram altogether because of this. Can't be that complicated its hardly new technology.

OP
OP
Mr Haematocrit

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
I am so sorry plus a chance to register your bike..

Thanks for posting that, I was not aware of that :biggrin:
I'm really pleased about that, all I really wanted was an understanding from the company that it was not great and knowledge of what had happened.
A little goes a long way imho

Interesting thought that they seem to have a plan for the disc systems, but this is obviously not applicable for the rim brakes. I expect I will have to simply wait for the improved hydraulics.
The replacement plan may first be a mechanical disc followed by improved hydraulics..

Last edited:

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Too much cost to send out SRAM red mechanical brakes and shifters, but if I were them that where I would be looking or even Rival/Apex as temporary fix. The Hydro is not even close to production by the looks of it. I suppose the customers who invested in a bike with Hydro are most likely going to own other bikes, but not the point really.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Given Sram's history in the MTB world and their ownership of Avid, it is kind of suprising that they seem to have had such an issue with the technology.

Given Sram's history in the MTB world and their ownership of Avid, it is kind of suprising that they seem to have had such an issue with the technology.

ok - to put things into perspective....

The recall I was affected by related to Force calipers. The Ti mounting bolt turned out to be made from the wrong grade/spec of Ti stock and because of that, was prone to failure. The supplier of the Ti material was a long way down the supply chain and it only came to light once SRAM had investigated a couple of failures. So SRAM had specified the correct grade material, the supplier had agreed to supply the correct grade material, but didn't. A soon as a problem was identified, SRAM moved to correct it. I wouldn't be suprised if something similar has happened in this situation, but it's no reason to get upset..

Hacienda71

ok - to put things into perspective....

The recall I was affected by related to Force calipers. The Ti mounting bolt turned out to be made from the wrong grade/spec of Ti stock and because of that, was prone to failure. The supplier of the Ti material was a long way down the supply chain and it only came to light once SRAM had investigated a couple of failures. So SRAM had specified the correct grade material, the supplier had agreed to supply the correct grade material, but didn't. A soon as a problem was identified, SRAM moved to correct it. I wouldn't be suprised if something similar has happened in this situation, but it's no reason to get upset..

My post wasn't related to what you said. It was in relation to the issue with the new SRAM Red hydraulic set up Mr H has had an issue with and the fact SRAM own Avid who have considerable experience in hydraulic brakes from their MTB brakes.
I ride with a SRAM setup on my main road bike and despite having to have a shifter and brake caliper replaced under warranty in the first year, I rather like them. I am not "upset.." Thanks for worrying though. :thumbsup:

My post wasn't related to what you said. It was in relation to the issue with the new SRAM Red hydraulic set up Mr H has had an issue with and the fact SRAM own Avid who have considerable experience in hydraulic brakes from their MTB brakes.

I know that - but the point still applies. SRAM has a supply chain. All SRAM can do is specify the correct grade of rubber seal, mounting bolt, etc and then rely on its suppliers to deliver. Mostly, they do - but when they dont, this happens.

Hacienda71

Setting aside the supplier in the chain unilaterlly changing a component material, the " We investigated these failures and determined that the seal material we were using for the brake lever lost its performance characteristics in the extreme cold" comment from the chairman would imply that there was a design flaw that, given Avid's experience in MTBing is to me at least surprising. Just my opinion. :rolleyes:

Setting aside the supplier in the chain unilaterlly changing a component material, the " We investigated these failures and determined that the seal material we were using for the brake lever lost its performance characteristics in the extreme cold" comment from the chairman would imply that there was a design flaw that, given Avid's experience in MTBing is to me at least surprising. Just my opinion. :rolleyes:

I don't see that it implies a design flaw. It only implies that the material used is not capable of operating effectively below a certain temperature. If SRAM specced the wrong material, then it is a design flaw. If the material used was not according to SRAM's spec, it is not a design flaw. Until you know the answer to that, nobody can call it a design flaw.

Hacienda71

Yes in the statement from SRAM they admit that the material they have used fails in certain conditions, which they have replicated in further testing. It is a design flaw and they are looking into it. There is an additional issue with a supplier changing a material.

Top Bottom