Safety Recall : SRAM road hydraulic brake recall – stop use immediately

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
"In October 2013 at an OEM ride camp in Germany we discovered a quality issue with our new Road Hydraulic brakes. We analyzed the root cause and determined that we had a bad part that was generated from an unapproved process change by one of our part suppliers. This affected about 4,000 systems of the 38,000 systems that we had manufactured to that point. We were able to track the date range of the process change and put a fence around most of the product before it got to consumers."

I took this was for the second recall as well, it is not clear from the statement

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
The critical bit of the quote to me is "Last weekend a bigger alarm went off"
They said use this material. They say now it is not upto the job. Therefore the design has failed. It may require a very small adjustment in material used, but you might have expected that Sram would have had a better understanding of materials used in hydraulic brake systems. Surely they would use materials they would have had experience in, which is the only point my original post was making.
I totaly accept that the other issue they refer to at the start of the statement is due to the supply chain as they state and as you rightly point out

OP
OP
Mr Haematocrit

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
After a number of days I have been offered a refund on the brakes, but not the entire group set. Without the hydro brakes I do not want the groupset I would run Di2 11 speed. If I want hydro I have to wait with no eta
I have sent SRAM emails, tweets, and more and only got a 'generic' response when the cycling press who have been interviewing me got involved.

At this time SRAM are not able to tell me what they are going to do to address the issues and at this time I believe they have not worked that out.

OP
OP
Mr Haematocrit

Mr Haematocrit

They said use this material. They say now it is not upto the job. Therefore the design has failed. It may require a very small adjustment in material used, but you might have expected that Sram would have had a better understanding of materials used in hydraulic brake systems. Surely they would use materials they would have had experience in, which is the only point my original post was making.

Totally agree, having said that you would also think they would use similar materials in different breaking products :whistle:

Tip of iceberg perhaps?

OP
OP
Mr Haematocrit

Mr Haematocrit

"In October 2013 at an OEM ride camp in Germany we discovered a quality issue with our new Road Hydraulic brakes. We analyzed the root cause and determined that we had a bad part that was generated from an unapproved process change by one of our part suppliers. This affected about 4,000 systems of the 38,000 systems that we had manufactured to that point. We were able to track the date range of the process change and put a fence around most of the product before it got to consumers."

I took this was for the second recall as well, it is not clear from the statement

I was informed exactly that reasoning for the first recall not the second

green1

Über Member
The critical bit of the quote to me is "Last weekend a bigger alarm went off"
Why? If I need an o-ring material I go to the rubber seal manufacturers and tell them my operating and system requirements are and they tell me what I should use. The problem is if you then take it out of its designed operating window (ala Challenger) in which case SRAM spec'ed its requirements incorrectly or they didn't and the supplier has given duff information/materials. Spec'ing Rubbers in any design can be a complete nightmare because of this.

OP
OP
Mr Haematocrit

Mr Haematocrit

Why? If I need an o-ring material I go to the rubber seal manufacturers and tell them my operating and system requirements are and they tell me what I should use.

SRAM have recalled the product twice as such the manufacturers and SRAM have had one opportunity to fix it already, yet have yet to do so or determine what they are going to do, a complete redesign of the system is one possibility which I have been made aware off, but at this time SRAM just don't know themselves... Not for a moment do I believe this is just an issue with seal rubber specification as this could easily and cheaply be addressed before the end of April 2014 which is the time frame currently being told to customers.... It looks to me as SRAM are releasing products not fit for purpose and using customers for testing purposes.

OP
OP
Mr Haematocrit

Mr Haematocrit

After a large number of tweets, emails, filling out the form on the recall page, informing SRAM I was going to register a domain to document my experiences, and that I intended to leaflet the London Cycle show in Febuary, not to mention being interviewed by the press I am happy to report that SRAM for some reason decided to give me some answers and respond to me. :addict:

1) The first recall documented at http://sramroadhydraulicbrakerecall.com/sram-road-hydraulic-brake-recall/ states the following : "SRAM has identified a technical issue with respect to a narrow production range of its RED 22 and S-700 Road Hydraulic road brakes. This is a performance and safety concern. There are no reported failures in the field."

QUESTION: - What was the concern over SRAM has never stated, I sent my brakes back and was not advised of what had been done to them can they tell me?

SRAM Response : If your brakes were replaced at the time of the original recall short date range, those brakes would have been completely replaced. The US CPSC requires us to obtain all physical samples of effected brake units, so it can be proven they have been taken out of the marketplace. These brakes would not have been re-worked. The original issue we discovered was that a supplier changed a manufacturing process on the brake lever body, for the described serialized date range only. This change led to a shifter body that was outside of our specification.

2) The second recall documented at http://sramroadhydraulicbrakerecall.com/brake-recall-clarification/ states : "Our analysis shows the cold temperature accelerates the failure of the seal, but that also the sealing could fail in normal temperatures."

QUESTION: - Was the very first recall related in any way to the seal? and if so what prevent SRAM from addressing it the first time? and what can SRAM do to convince me that they are capable of fixing it this time? - SRAM has also not provided any information regarding what they are going to do to fix the product, or the time frames expected.

SRAM Response : We decided to expand the recall after reports of brake failure in the field outside of the original date range. We still are in process of root cause analysis, and have no updates at this time for specific failure cause. We have seen several kinds of failure types, all which manifest in “brake levers pulling to the handlebar”, or loss of brake function. The seal is something that we have reports on, however, we don’t have a full analysis as to the exact failure reason yet. We will not be able to quote a timeframe for functional hydraulic replacement until the root cause analysis is complete. Once we do, we will be diligently working on replacement units for the marketplace. We understand this open timeframe is unacceptable for many customers. [/quote]

3) SRAM created a web page to track this issue located at http://sramroadhydraulicbrakerecall.com this page features a contact email address brakerecall@sram.com. SRAM also use social media like twitter.

QUESTION: - At this time I have received one generic prefabricated response from my attempts at communicating with the company through the form on the website, twitter, email and when I called head office I was put on hold for a period of time and the line eventually went dead. What perception do you think I have about SRAM based on these experiences and do you think they are just. I am also curious to know what SRAM are going to do to make it up to me.

SRAM Response: We are working alongside the US CPSC and other global product safety organizations to register this as an official recall, and to abide by local laws and regulations in doing so. Some of these regulations specify when and how we make comment on compensation. Please note that we are working hard to be sure that you as a consumer are made whole. The purpose of setting up the brake recall website is to offer updates as soon as they become available on our brake recall website, and via the registration contacts we’ve received- including that of details on compensation. We will be sending out updated communication shortly on compensation for labor, getting back on the bike in the interim as we finalize a permanent solution, etc.

I'm reasonably happy to know what's going on, its all I wanted in the first place, now I have to decide if I should give SRAM the opportunity to try to win me over, or should I run into the warm comfortable arms of Shimano Di2

Last edited:

Keith Oates

Janner
That's a no brainer of a decision, go for the Di2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
Mr Haematocrit

Mr Haematocrit

I had that very question clarified, you exchange the mechanical when the hydro becomes availiable.
In effect your given the difference in money between the mechanical and hydro or you get a loan and exchange when they become available. You ddon't get to keep the mechanical. Retailers and bike shops are being paid labour costs, customers get information without having to flight for it, and bugger all else.. Yay

Andrew_P

In between here and there
I had that very question clarified, you exchange the mechanical when the hydro becomes availiable.
In effect your given the difference in money between the mechanical and hydro or you get a loan and exchange when they become available. You ddon't get to keep the mechanical. Retailers and bike shops are being paid labour costs, customers get information without having to flight for it, and bugger all else.. Yay
Sorry but that is shoot, what are they going to do with 3-4k of used and abused Red 22 levers and calliper's. When a company behaves like this it normally means that their bottom line is marginal, surely not the case with SRAM?

OP
OP
Mr Haematocrit

Mr Haematocrit

Sorry but that is s***, what are they going to do with 3-4k of used and abused Red 22 levers and calliper's. When a company behaves like this it normally means that their bottom line is marginal, surely not the case with SRAM?

I have no idea regarding the position of the company, but my own experiences continue to bring more questions than answers. I still can't believe that the felt it was acceptable to tell me to stop using my brakes, send them back without any other information at all. I would no mind if they said we are investigating the issue and at this time we don't have a solution, but they decided not to, they left customers hanging.
SRAM also decided to not respond to my tweets or emails until such time that I went to the media.
Im personally concerned for SRAM quality control and if my bike was not being built as a replica I would walk away from this fiasco.
At this time my brakes have gone back twice and I have recieved nothing more than an appology posted on a website. For spending £1300 with them the cynic in me for a little better treatment.

snailracer

Über Member
I have no idea regarding the position of the company, but my own experiences continue to bring more questions than answers. I still can't believe that the felt it was acceptable to tell me to stop using my brakes, send them back without any other information at all. I would no mind if they said we are investigating the issue and at this time we don't have a solution, but they decided not to, they left customers hanging.
SRAM also decided to not respond to my tweets or emails until such time that I went to the media.
Im personally concerned for SRAM quality control and if my bike was not being built as a replica I would walk away from this fiasco.
At this time my brakes have gone back twice and I have recieved nothing more than an appology posted on a website. For spending £1300 with them the cynic in me for a little better treatment.
I'm not sure where you are based, but in the UK the responsibility for unfit goods lies with the retailer and not the manufacturer (as would be the case in the USA). You are trying to have a dialogue direct with the manufacturer, who (obviously) does not have a system set up to deal directly with customers in the UK, and has no legal obligation to do so. The simplest solution would have been to get a refund from the retailer.

Last edited:
Top Bottom