Safety Recall : SRAM road hydraulic brake recall – stop use immediately

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I don't see that it implies a design flaw. It only implies that the material used is not capable of operating effectively below a certain temperature. If SRAM specced the wrong material, then it is a design flaw. If the material used was not according to SRAM's spec, it is not a design flaw. Until you know the answer to that, nobody can call it a design flaw.
It is worse than just a temperature problem ... It is no good just avoiding riding in freezing temperatures because an update on that SRAM site reveals that the cold merely accelerates the development of an underlying problem. The seals can suddenly fail at any temperature with catastrophic loss of braking! :eek:

It is worse than just a temperature problem ... It is no good just avoiding riding in freezing temperatures because an update on that SRAM site reveals that the cold merely accelerates the development of an underlying problem. The seals can suddenly fail at any temperature with catastrophic loss of braking! :eek:

So it sounds like a material spec problem, rather than a design flaw. Unless someone was daft enough to spec a type of rubber which was not compatible with hydraulic fluid, which for a hydraulic brake manufactuer, would be tantamount to negligence. Which brings me back to what I said earlier...

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
If I found myself slamming into a huge boulder on a technical descent because my brakes had just failed, the last thing I'd be worried about would be whether it was due to a design flaw or a material specification flaw! :thumbsup:

Andrew_P

In between here and there
The whole issue seems to stem from poor QC of SRAM component suppliers, looks like they have given them one spec, and the supplier has changed it to make some extra $$. Not that unusual hence you have to have tight QC, which I would have thought SRAM knew through experience.

albion

Guru
Often the case with advanced technology.

Being ahead of the game is often an unknown quantity, so here the maximum 500 people round the world who have them will probably get new for old.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Congrats on taking two quotes out of context for the sake of a cheap gag. A 'supply issue' - did you not read my earlier comments?
Yes I read your posts,how out of context? You said it was a design flaw if they specd the wrong material. They had admitted in the published statement they, not the supplier had spec'd the wrong material. i.e. That is how it was designed by them, and you then said it was not a design flaw it was a spec problem. Your two posts totally contradict each other. I really can't be bothered with this but you seem to be intent on having the last word, so to reiterate, my point is that to me it is surprising that a manufacturer with the experience of hydraulic brakes of SRAM and it's associated companies from their mountain biking background, released a product with ended up with such a critical problem. Mountain bikes operate in extreme conditions so to me the temperature the initial failures took place is irrelevant. This remains my view. If you had read the statement from Sram before responding to my post in the first instance, you would have realised that the issue was more than just a supplier problem as this was stated. It is your perogative to disagree, but just say I disagree. It is easier all round and stops threads ending up in silly tit for tat pedantic exchanges.

Paul99

Über Member
Yes I read your posts,how out of context? You said it was a design flaw if they specd the wrong material. They had admitted in the published statement they, not the supplier had spec'd the wrong material. i.e. That is how it was designed by them, and you then said it was not a design flaw it was a spec problem. Your two posts totally contradict each other. I really can't be bothered with this but you seem to be intent on having the last word, so to reiterate, my point is that to me it is surprising that a manufacturer with the experience of hydraulic brakes of SRAM and it's associated companies from their mountain biking background, released a product with ended up with such a critical problem. Mountain bikes operate in extreme conditions so to me the temperature the initial failures took place is irrelevant. This remains my view. If you had read the statement from Sram before responding to my post in the first instance, you would have realised that the issue was more than just a supplier problem as this was stated. It is your perogative to disagree, but just say I disagree. It is easier all round and stops threads ending up in silly tit for tat pedantic exchanges.
Can you stop teasing the SRAM fanboys please.^_^
It's not SRAM's fault. I blame Wiggle.

Yes I read your posts,how out of context? You said it was a design flaw if they specd the wrong material. They had admitted in the published statement they, not the supplier had spec'd the wrong material. i.e. That is how it was designed by them, and you then said it was not a design flaw it was a spec problem.

SRAM's statements do not say anything of the sort, unfortunately. If you can find me the bit where it says that, I'd be happy to see it.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Quote from the Sram President which Andrew_P linked to before I posted.

"Last weekend a bigger alarm went off. There were a number of reports of brake failures at cyclocross races in sub freezing conditions. We investigated these failures and determined that the seal material we were using for the brake lever lost its performance characteristics in the extreme cold. We were able to duplicate the failure mode through testing."

Quote from the Sram President which Andrew_P linked to before I posted.

"Last weekend a bigger alarm went off. There were a number of reports of brake failures at cyclocross races in sub freezing conditions. We investigated these failures and determined that the seal material we were using for the brake lever lost its performance characteristics in the extreme cold. We were able to duplicate the failure mode through testing."

Sorry, where is the evidence of a 'design flaw' in there? All it states is that the seal material is not up to the job. There is no attempt to explain why. Sounds like you know more than SRAM does about this.

Top Bottom