Safety Recall : SRAM road hydraulic brake recall – stop use immediately

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Mr Haematocrit

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
I'm not sure where you are based, but in the UK the responsibility for unfit goods lies with the retailer and not the manufacturer (as would be the case in the USA). You are trying to have a dialogue directly with the manufacturer, who (obviously) does not have a system set up to deal directly with customers in the UK, and has no legal obligation to do so. The simplest solution would have been to get a refund from the retailer.

I'm located in London UK .
The recall notification came from the US it did not come through the UK distributor or the retailer, it is still being run and organized from the US. I made my LBS and UK distributor aware of the recall myself, prior to this they had no knowledge.
The UK distributor, my LBS attempted to find out what was going on, the time frames to enable options to be discussed with me and came up blank.
I have sent numerous emails to both my LBS and the UK Distributor asking for information and updates, I received what I believe are honest responses to my communications and was offered various options by them.
SRAM set up the domain http://sramroadhydraulicbrakerecall.com/ for ALL customers, not just those in the US and I was directed by SRAM to use it.
using this website, the contact email on it, twitter and other sources SRAM ignored my communication and questions until such time I went to the cycling media. (received a response 9 minutes after the story broke)

The bike I have the hydro brakes on is a replica of the bike Cavendish rode in the 2013 TDF as such the group set and specifically the brakes are needed for this bike to have the desired appearance and the groupset/brakes was purchased specifically for this reason alone as such in an ideal world I would not want a refund.
I have no issue waiting for components, but for SRAM to take £1300 worth of kit of me, not once but twice and think it is acceptable to say nothing is pretty poor customer service. I would have appreciated someone being honest to me and stating SRAM need to investigate the issue further to know what action is required before moving forward. I could live with that and accept it, however they choose to treat customers with contempt.
The product has SRAM written on it, and as you say they may not have a legal obligation to deal with me, but imho they have a moral obligation to stand behind their products and part of this is reasuring the concerns of customers who use the website the company directs them to.

All I wanted was honest communication and a understanding of what is going on, so I could make an informed decision, SRAM failed massively in this regard.

snailracer

Über Member
I'm located in London UK .
The recall notification came from the US it did not come through the UK distributor or the retailer, it is still being run and organized from the US. I made my LBS and UK distributor aware of the recall myself, prior to this they had no knowledge....

...SRAM set up the domain http://sramroadhydraulicbrakerecall.com/ for ALL customers, not just those in the US and I was directed by SRAM to use it...

...I have no issue waiting for components, but for SRAM to take £1300 worth of kit of me, not once but twice and think it is acceptable to say nothing is pretty poor customer service. I would have appreciated someone being honest to me and stating SRAM need to investigate the issue further to know what action is required before moving forward. I could live with that and accept it, however they choose to treat customers with contempt.

...The product has SRAM written on it, and as you say they may not have a legal obligation to deal with me, but imho they have a moral obligation to stand behind their products and part of this is reasuring the concerns of customers who use the website the company directs them to.

All I wanted was honest communication and a understanding of what is going on, so I could make an informed decision, SRAM failed massively in this regard.
If you choose to play by US rules, then you should understand that warranty terms are what the manufacturer provides. There is no standard for how well manufacturers deal with warranty issues, because that is considered a competitive differentiator - when you buy brand X, then you have also bought brand X's after-sales support with it, and if that isn't good enough for you, don't buy brand X.

I have a lot of sympathy for you and hope it all works out. My comments aren't much use to you personally, but hopefully they will inform others who might be in a similar situation of deciding whether to pursue warranty claims through the retailer vs. the manufacturer.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mr Haematocrit

Mr Haematocrit

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/article/hydror-recall-will-cost-sram-10-15-million-39519/

SRAM's complete recall of all its hydraulic road brakes will cost the company between $10 and $15 million, according to SRAM president Stan Day.

Lot of money.... But the people like myself currently waiting for brakes (including the mechanical loan replacements) are less than sympathetic.. SRAM have taken my money, taken my brakes and shifters and left me high and dry at the moment, without anything.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mr Haematocrit

Mr Haematocrit

Is this a LOL moment or have I been whooshed? Go without until April or go mechanical and get 150 euro refunded? To me, that's not trying very hard?

http://sramroadhydraulicbrakerecall.com/january-15-update/

It's pretty much a LOL moment. I was expecting my mechanical replacement brakes last week and they still have not given them to me yet as such I have no belief that SRAM are capable of addressing this issue and making the product widely available by the end of April.

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/...ic-road-brake-system-expected-in-april-39563/

Andrew_P

In between here and there
It's pretty much a LOL moment. I was expecting my mechanical replacement brakes last week and they still have not given them to me yet as such I have no belief that SRAM are capable of addressing this issue and making the product widely available by the end of April.

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/...ic-road-brake-system-expected-in-april-39563/
SHAM lol. . Am I reading it right though, if you take the mechanical they are not a loan? You either take the mechanical and £125 or wait. That's how it reads not that the mechanical are loan units anymore?

OP
OP
Mr Haematocrit

Mr Haematocrit

SHAM lol. . Am I reading it right though, if you take the mechanical they are not a loan? You either take the mechanical and £125 or wait. That's how it reads not that the mechanical are loan units anymore?

The offer I've had on the table is a set of mechanical brakes and the difference back in cash, or mechanical brakes on loan and hydro brakes when they become available. At this time I have no brakes at all and my blikes stuck at the LBS.

Thought the SHAM comment was appropiate after the frustration and experience I'm having.. Lol

Andrew_P

In between here and there
I would take them on loan and run the feckers in to the ground. What they going to do with a few thousand second hand calipers? (Red 22 mechanicals are lovely brakes though!)

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Can't be doing 'ugly' on a road bike. It's a sin !:tongue:
which is why my latest steed is full campag...

OP
OP
Mr Haematocrit

Mr Haematocrit

SRAM have still to provide owners with replacement brakes, mechanical, hydraulic or otherwise.
Two months in and I still have nothing at all to show for my money.

SRAM recall procedure is becoming a nightmare.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mr Haematocrit

Mr Haematocrit

20th of December 2013 SRAM announced that customers would be provided with Mechanical replacements as a temporary solution

15th of January 2014 SRAM announced
We want to update you on progress with our Road Hydraulic Brake Recall. As we have previously announced, we are offering you a mechanical brake system installed at our cost at your favorite Dealer. These systems are being delivered into the market beginning this week. Please contact your Dealer so that they can get the proper parts on order, and they can schedule your replacement.

5th of February 2014
I like many customers are still awaiting brakes as there is a shortage of RED mechanical.. I have now been without a bike since November and have received no updates at all which has not been chased for by myself. I have also received no compensation for distress they have caused me.

OP
OP
Mr Haematocrit

Mr Haematocrit

Received an email from SRAM today which states the following.

Can I ride my SRAM road hydraulic brakes in warm weather?
No, the recall affects all SRAM road hydraulic brakes regardless of weather conditions. To ensure safety and operation, we ask that you stop riding immediately and register at www.sramroadhydraulicbrakerecall.com.

This is the third time the impact of the issue stated by SRAM has changed, the failures are not a result of low temperatures. I am personally curious to know the cause of the issue as SRAM seem to have gone quiet on this since attempting to point the blame at a supplier.

What happens to the interim mechanical brakes when the new hydraulic brakes are installed?

In consultation with our Dealers, we have determined they will be returned to SRAM, refurbished, paired with derailleurs and made available to U23, Junior, and development cyclocross teams in the US, Europe and Asia. More information will be posted on our website regarding this program.

So there you have it SRAM keep my money, stop me from riding my bike for six months, do not apologize and do not compensate customers..

Peteaud

Veteran
Received an email from SRAM today which states the following.

This is the third time the impact of the issue stated by SRAM has changed, the failures are not a result of low temperatures. I am personally curious to know the cause of the issue as SRAM seem to have gone quiet on this since attempting to point the blame at a supplier.

So there you have it SRAM keep my money, stop me from riding my bike for six months, do not apologize and do not compensate customers..

It is beyond belief.

Top Bottom