Shimano cassettes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

midlife

Guru
Freehub body screws onto the hub (yellow) and the cogs slide over the body held with a lockring
Are you thinking about old style freewheels?

333356-01-d-701744.jpg

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The answer is no, they slide onto the freehub body in yellow as above and secure with a lockring. Older freewheels did.
Do you know which you have?

Reactions: C R

13 rider

Guru
How many cogs does the cassette have ,it will give an idea of age giving us an idea of what you have or better stillnpist a pic if you can

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
No, I don’t know what I have. So it seems like I must remove the old one first to see. I can always put it back until the new one comes.
If you take the back wheel off you may find that there's a code stamped on the locknut lockring that's next to the smallest cog. I can't be sure if that is the case but it might be.

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
Having seen the OP mention 'slipping' on the other thread (that OP had an 8 speed drive train), and suggesting that new chain and cassette is required I failed to note that he's got a '6 speed'.
Cruising at low pressure all ok, but in 4th and 5th of a 6 ring set it slips.
Which will be a freewheel block; NOT a cassette. Good news is they're cheap. Unless you're a ninja, I recommend you ask your LBS to remove the current block (take just the wheel in). And buy a chain there which they'll cut to length (provided you take your old chain in). Then with a quick link, you can screw on the new block yourself and fit the chain. Something like this:
https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bi...halfords-6-speed-freewheel-14-28t-248349.html

Big John

Guru
GranddadRob, if you decide to invest in the tool to remove a block it helps the removal process if you clamp the tool in a vice first. Then place the wheel on the removal tool and turn anti clockwise as hard as you can. I've not come across one yet that has come off easy. Failing that, a visit to your LBS 👍

midlife

Guru
I've got a set of wheels with a six speed cassette, a Shimano Uniglyde. But sounds more like the OP has a freewheel

T4tomo

Guru
Thanks very much. I do have a removal tool. This thread has.been very informative, learned a lot.
the vice method described above is your best bet for getting it off. Very hard to get enough purchase, even with a big adjustable spanner on the removal tool, otherwise.

Top Bottom