Shimano chain from Chain Reaction

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ricksavery

Über Member
Don't want this to turn into a rant but ordered a HG53 chain from Chain Reaction months ago. It turned up quickly and I kept it in its bag until I needed to replace chains - not for several months.
As well as connection issues which I have posted about elsewhere (won't bang on) the chain turned out to be not 114 links as stated but 110, so it was too short for my bike.
Mentioned this to CRC and they said that any mistake must be reported within 3 working days, so it can't be returned.
I am not in the habit of getting a new vaseline-covered chain out to count the links uness I am about to fit it, prefering to take it on trust that it is right - obviously a mistake.
So just thought I'd mention to anyone buying a chain and keeping until they need it, rather than fitting it immediately, count the links so if it's wrong it can be returned.
Maybe I'm stating the obvious to some, but it wasn't to me, and others may get caught out too.
There! Not too much of a rant :blush:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You do need to check upon delivery. Mistakes happen.

I was once sent a 9 speed road chain, rather than a singlespeed chain. couldn't be bothered to get a replacement and just kept it until one of the bikes needed a new chain.

buddha

Veteran
That's very poor service from CRC. Especially as it was their mistake.
Personally, I'd have a moan on farcebook/twitter, and they may be embarrassed enough to fix it.

iwchris

We know that we should check deliveries, but let's be honest, how many of us would have counted the links!! I was in sales management for 25 yrs and can say that in circumstances like this the problem would have been rectified, this is just very poor service, and I for one I will remember and not use this company.

Chris-H

Über Member
I've never used them but after reading this thread would be a bit dubious.I know mistakes happen but in this case you would expect them to rectify it,out of goodwill if nothing else.

OP
OP
ricksavery

ricksavery

Über Member
To be fair, I have used Chain Reaction quite a bit and always found the deliveries prompt and everything as it should be, so I don't want to put people off buying from them. This is, however, the first time I had any cause to deal with cutomer services. My original post was more about checking goods, and in particular chains when they arrive.
That said, they probably could have a bit more flexible in their returns policy.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
A dishonest person would maybe just order another one & hopefully that would be the right length, but they could then send the short one back for a refund :whistle:

ushills

Veteran
I would suggest that under the sales of good act that the goods are not as described.

The complaint must be brought within a reasonable time for a full refund, however, this is not stated in the Act. Beyond this time you are entitled to compensation, repair or replacement. The retailer has to bear any costs, I.e postal charges.

Get back on to them, via email or in writing stating the above and what remedy you would like.

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
Don't want this to turn into a rant but ordered a HG53 chain from Chain Reaction months ago. It turned up quickly and I kept it in its bag until I needed to replace chains - not for several months.
As well as connection issues which I have posted about elsewhere (won't bang on) the chain turned out to be not 114 links as stated but 110, so it was too short for my bike.
Mentioned this to CRC and they said that any mistake must be reported within 3 working days, so it can't be returned.
I am not in the habit of getting a new vaseline-covered chain out to count the links uness I am about to fit it, prefering to take it on trust that it is right - obviously a mistake.
So just thought I'd mention to anyone buying a chain and keeping until they need it, rather than fitting it immediately, count the links so if it's wrong it can be returned.
Maybe I'm stating the obvious to some, but it wasn't to me, and others may get caught out too.
There! Not too much of a rant :blush:

On the Chain Reaction website it states:

If you're not completely satisfied with an item you may return it within 12 months of purchase, and as long as the item isn't fitted or used we're happy to receive it back for a refund.

So has it been longer than 12 months if not sent it back for a refund.

OP
OP
ricksavery

ricksavery

Über Member
Actually (he said somewhat shamefaced) it has! I thought it was only a few months. Chain was fitted as well before I noticed the problem - although they wouldn't have known that. I didn't mention when I had bought it to the customer service chap though, so for all he knew it was relatively recent. The 3 days he quoted was clearly wrong from your post. I'll know better next time :rolleyes:

Top Bottom