Shimano constant "upgrades" frustration: 105 11 speed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
So, I have a 105 11 speed groupset.

I'd previously bought a spare chainring, but on fitting it today find the profile is designed for a different crank set.

Functionally it's fine, but aesthetics are a bit lacking to put it mildly.

So:
(1) Shimano!! WTF!!
(2) What the hell do I search for to get the right matching chain ring in future?

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Think you have to match a model number and a letter that should be stamped somewhere.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
The R7000 is way different in it’s design, it’s all ‘angled and edgy’ it still works the same though.
Not sure it does always work the same way. When i replace my 50 tooth chainset (an earlier 105 model) i have a choice of two types. I think the wrong choice would result in poor changing

si_c

Guru
The R7000 series has a number of functional changes to the chainrings (mainly the inner ring) which could potentially cause issues with shifting at the front. If you don't have any problems and can live with the cosmetic differences then great, personally that offsetting would drive me mad.

OP
OP
R

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
The R7000 series has a number of functional changes to the chainrings (mainly the inner ring) which could potentially cause issues with shifting at the front. If you don't have any problems and can live with the cosmetic differences then great, personally that offsetting would drive me mad.

I haven't changed the inner, it gets much less use than the outer.

It's functioning perfectly and I'm confident that the cosmetic differences, whilst irritating, will drive me less mad than the price of a replacement. These rings are exorbitant!

If it works ok and it seems to,
Pedal your bike and relax.
If anyone obsesses over a "flaw" at that height, tell them to lick your cleats.

No probs getting 8 and 9 speed bits by the way and not anticipating any serious issues.

Tom B

Guru

No probs getting 8 and 9 speed bits by the way and not anticipating any serious issues.

If anyone can see it you're not pedalling fast enough.

Johnno260

Veteran
I looked on a chart and it seemed the R7000 chainset and 5800 front derailleur have some compatibility issues?

If it works just keep an eye out for excessive wear.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member

My local bike shop was having problems getting a replacement front mech for a nine speed.

Apparently, there's increasingly fewer available, so they reckon they might be on the way out.

The other point is I didn't realise front mechs were rear speed dependent.

Anyone know why?

My local bike shop was having problems getting a replacement front mech for a nine speed.

Apparently, there's increasingly fewer available, so they reckon they might be on the way out.
No problems for folk sourcing their own online palerider.

Several of my bikes use the same XT front mech - very well made so am even happy to use decent second hand ones. 9 speed bikes (not racers) are still being made.
Of course the industry would rather there weren't standardising perverts like me around.
Am confident I will have less problems going forward than folks "upgrading" every year or two. I have 5 to 10 bikes and if the worst comes to the worst in my cycling twilight years will be able to swap bits amongst bikes. Folk with a motley collection of speeded bikes, particularly if dropped bars, won't find that so easy.
I have already stopped the cycling world, or hopped off it as it spins on and on. But doing more cycling than ever :smile:

si_c

Guru

The other point is I didn't realise front mechs were rear speed dependent.

Anyone know why?
It's not so much the rear speed as the chain. An 11 speed chain is narrower, so running a 9 speed chain through an 11 speed mech will work, it's just that you'll get chain rub.

I used a 105 11 speed mech with a 10 speed friction setup without problems but I could manually control the trim better that way so avoided rubbing.

jay clock

Massive member
So, I have a 105 11 speed groupset.

I'd previously bought a spare chainring, but on fitting it today find the profile is designed for a different crank set.

Functionally it's fine, but aesthetics are a bit lacking to put it mildly.

So:
(1) Shimano!! WTF!!
(2) What the hell do I search for to get the right matching chain ring in future? View attachment 507457
You should have started by buying a new bike....

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
It's not so much the rear speed as the chain. An 11 speed chain is narrower, so running a 9 speed chain through an 11 speed mech will work, it's just that you'll get chain rub.

I used a 105 11 speed mech with a 10 speed friction setup without problems but I could manually control the trim better that way so avoided rubbing.

I hadn't considered chain width, but I'm sure you are correct.

Although I'm still surprised it makes a difference, given the front mech just shoves the chain from one side or the other.

The tolerances must be a lot tighter than I realised.

No wonder so many of the damn things rub, even when correctly specced.

Top Bottom