Shimano Crankset recall: bonded Hollowtech ones

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jameshow

Veteran
Blimey folks, they were a bad design. I'm sure if you looked after them they'd be fine, but most folk get them covered in crap, salty road water etc etc and don't clean them, and the bonded design didn't hold out. It's a silly design for a 100g saving or so from a forged crank. The MTB cranks aren't hollow, nor are the older ones. I'd take older or generic cranks over these as they are much easier to keep clean, for a slight weight penalty that's not in a crucial area. I really object to being even more limited on chain rings - you need the OEM fancy ones per chainset or they look crap.

I don't like being limited when replacing wearable parts.

It's only 40gms from 105 -ultegra! Crazy!!

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
My final four cranksets have been checked by the LBS, with one failure. It's the oldest Ultegra one, which has taken a battering, so that might bode well (or not) for the rest in the future.

A replacement will arrive at some point in the future but these four were all spares anyway.

ukbabz

Über Member
Interestingly it's not all cranks that shimano have included in the recall. There are R8000 cranks with the code's starting S not included, so I assume shimano changed something in the manufacture process prior to issuing the recall.

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
Ajax Bay

Ajax Bay

Guru
Interestingly it's not all cranks that shimano have included in the recall. There are R8000 cranks with the code's starting S not included, so I assume shimano changed something in the manufacture process prior to issuing the recall.
One assumes that cranks with production code letters starting 'S' et seq are post the change you deduce/assume.
https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2023/Shimano-Recalls-Cranksets-for-Bicycles-Due-to-Crash-Hazard
produced before July 2019 for a possible bonding separation issue.
Affects Ultegra 6800 and 8000 series, and Dura Ace 9000 and 9100 series: applicable model numbers are ULTEGRA FC-6800, FC-R8000, DURA-ACE FC-9000, FC-R9100 and FC-R9100-P.
The affected models have the following two-letter production code on backside of the crank arm where the pedals are attached: KF, KG, KH, KI, KJ, KK, KL, LA, LB, LC, LD, LE, LF, LG, LH, LI, LJ, LK, LL, MA, MB, MC, MD, ME, MF, MG, MH, MI, MJ, MK, ML, NA, NB, NC, ND, NE, NF, NG, NH, NI, NJ, NK, NL, OA, OB, OC, OD, OE, OF, OG, OH, OI, OJ, OK, OL, PA, PB, PC, PD, PE, PF, PG, PH, PI, PJ, PK, PL, QA, QB, QC, QD, QE, QF, QG, QH, QI, QJ, QK, QL, RA, RB, RC, RD, RE, and RF.

Chislenko

Veteran
My 6800's have been classified a failure today. The delamination was quite obvious.

The chap at the bike shop suggested that 1 in 3 6800 series cranks he had checked were failures.

So just sit and wait for replacement now.

Does show the value of having more than one bike!

Chislenko

Veteran
This is probably the first time that the word delamination got used in the bicycle branch. :biggrin:

Apologies if that is not the correct word to use. English is not my first language.

silva

Über Member
I wasn't commenting your word choice, it was some sarcasm related to bicycles with parts that are laminated, even drivetrain parts. Before, I thought the word was used for wood pulp with layers glued together alike multiplex, or armor.

Chislenko

Veteran
I've just picked up a set of replacement cranks, they were new ultegra 11spd with code VI. It was about a month and half from dropping off to getting these

Cheers, mine have been a month now, will give them another couple of weeks then give them a ring for an update.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I picked up the replacement Shimano crankset today; looks OK and has Ultegra on it.

Given the worst condition of the 12 Dura-Ace/Ultegra cranksets tested failed hopefully the rest will be OK.

Top Bottom