Shimano CS-HG41 / CS-HG50 etc., what is the difference

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
About to change the rear 7 speed cassette on my beautiful 'Shorter Rochford' as the current one doesn't have anywhere near large enough 1st gear ring for my legs!

My question is that there are various 7 speed cassettes available but which is the correct one to fit and what does the HG41 or HG50 etc. refer to?

Below is a photograph of the existing cassette which Biggsy believes can be removed by using a chain whip.

003.JPG
And below is an image of the packaging label of the Shimano cluster I have purchased, but who knows I might have to return to Wiggle.
006.JPG

Many thanks one and all, any help you can give will be very gratefully received.

Last edited:
As with all things Shimano and Mercedes, a higher number is better. HG-50 is better than HG-41 in some small way. It could be a subtle as the type of plating used. However, if it fits, it fits and if it works, it works. Yours will fit and work.

OP
OP
buzzy-beans

buzzy-beans

Über Member
As with all things Shimano and Mercedes, a higher number is better. HG-50 is better than HG-41 in some small way. It could be a subtle as the type of plating used. However, if it fits, it fits and if it works, it works. Yours will fit and work.

Thank gaud for that!!

But what is the best way to remove the old cassette, use a chain whip as Bigssy suggests?

Thank gaud for that!!

But what is the best way to remove the old cassette, use a chain whip as Bigssy suggests?

What you have there is a cluster of sprockets, not a cassette. Subtle difference. This means that the smallest sprocket screws onto the freewheel and holds the others behind it in place. To remove it you will need two chain whips. One to prevent the freewheel from just ratcheting as you unscrew the last sprocket with the other chain whip.

midlife

Guru
I think you have bought the wrong cogs ?

midlife

Guru
I think you have a uniglide hub, the left hub in the picture of 3 hubs. Have a look at the splines.

The cogs you have bought are hyperglide and the splines are different and won't fit. Plus the lockrings are different.

midlife

Guru
Sorry, by lockrings I meant smallest cog.....

The hyperglide has an internal thread on the freehub so they could make the smallest cog smaller than Uniglide.

Top Bottom