Shimano Di* do and do not.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Mr Haematocrit

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
Mine is running with Ultegra CS-6700 11-25

There's the answer we were looking for. :biggrin: -- Nice one Ziggy
Glad im learning new things as well. :thumbsup:

One other thing which may be of note is that you can upgrade the firmware of Ui2 as such it may get greater functionality as time goes by which allows it to do things Di2 can not.

OP
OP
Mr Haematocrit

Mr Haematocrit

So at this point in time it's not for british MTBers yet....?

Shimano have not released a specific MTB kit as of yet, there are a number of DIY ways you can do this, and an after market kit by K-Edge called Ki2 which works exceptionally well if your not the type to DIY. If you are going to DIY best start with Di2 rather than Ui2 for the reasons stated previously. It is pretty cheap to do DIY on a MTB compared to a road bike as you do not require all the kit
http://www.ki2bike.com

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Shimano have not released a specific MTB kit as of yet, there are a number of DIY ways you can do this, and an after market kit by K-Edge called Ki2 which works exceptionally well if your not the type to DIY. If you are going to DIY best start with Di2 rather than Ui2 for the reasons stated previously. It is pretty cheap to do DIY on a MTB compared to a road bike as you do not require all the kit
http://www.ki2bike.com
I was talking about the waterproofabilityness as much as anything. Good thread by the way.

OP
OP
Mr Haematocrit

Mr Haematocrit

I was talking about the waterproofabilityness as much as anything.

Strangely the MTB's suffer from the same issues regarding waterproofabilityness. The deraileurs have no issue. The issues are generally seen around the connections for wiring on Di2 and the battery on both of them. These are the same issues seen on road bikes.
If you grease the battery contacts with the Shimano grease for this purpose and ensure that wiring is watertight you do not really experience any issues.
Because the execution of Di2 on MTB is a little more challenging, most are carried out really really well, unfortunately the same can't be said for road bikes
The biggest problem generally seem to be badly executed or set up instalations.

Hope this goes some way towards answering your question better.

OP
OP
Mr Haematocrit

Mr Haematocrit

I'm sure I read (but cant find it now) that the system is IP67 rated this means it can work 1m under water for 30min

That is most certainly the claim from what I remember, although im not quite sure what happens after that period of time. Im also not personally convinced of its accuracy.
The battery case and mounting are plastic so will wear with fitting over time, Shimano know this and will sell you special grease for the purpose of keeping the battery contacts waterproof, which suggests to me its not flawless (another reason for a seatpost battery)
Shimano also request that connections for Di2 are protected with heatshrink which suggests further questions about suitability of design.
The fact Shimano changed Ui2 so drastically in my mind shows they have learnt from previous issues and developed the product further. The wiring and connections are so much better than Di2 imho

wanna try it with your bike, let us know for certain ;)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Bikes in general don't like pressure washing. Huge psi on a decent pressure washer. If you can clean the crap with a hose, then do it. I never pressure wash any of my bikes, and only the MTB gets a hose off. And I am using old technology kit.

HovR

Über Member
Bikes in general don't like pressure washing. Huge psi on a decent pressure washer. If you can clean the crap with a hose, then do it. I never pressure wash any of my bikes, and only the MTB gets a hose off. And I am using old technology kit.

Agreed. I've seen pressure washers take paint off cars before, so it's staying away from my bikes! Good old soapy water for me.

OP
OP
Mr Haematocrit

Mr Haematocrit

The mech's on Di2 and Ui2 can start to click when jet washed no idea why though and shimano happily replace them, I think there may be some lubricant in the servo functionality which is removed by the pressure. Seen it a few times and twice on the same bike and when we sent the parts back Shimano advised us not to clean with a Jetwash even though we made no reference to this... So I take the advise given.

I would personally leave the battery in for as long as possible and only remove when it requires charging. Im not personally aware of any advantage with removing it regulary other than potentially keeping it cleaner and then I would advise using the grease if your that particular. Although I just see that issue as a bigger reason to do a seat post battery and in bike charging. Removes the issues in one go. You can see a picture of the battery setup I use in my Album, lighter than standard and a larger capacity.

I've just recalled something! When I was deciding which bike to go for, Focus or Cube I noticed the cube had a Compact with an 11-28 cassette and the Focus a Double with a 12-25. I wanted spinning, sportive type gears so held out for ages waiting for the cube. Eventually I changed my mind, and went for the Focus, with a Compact and the 12-25 as a compromise.

As the Cube allegedly would have come with the 11-28, are you sure it's a definite no-no? It could have been an error in the catalogue the LBS guy looked it up in I guess?

OP
OP
Mr Haematocrit

Mr Haematocrit

As the Cube allegedly would have come with the 11-28, are you sure it's a definite no-no? It could have been an error in the catalogue the LBS guy looked it up in I guess?

Certain its been a no-no and I have seen this isue myself on the RD-7970 rear derailleur and have found it documented elsewhere such as the link below on performance bike blog.
http://blog.performancebike.com/2010/02/16/spin-doc-tech-tip-dura-ace-di2/

As Ui2 is firmwear upgradable this issue may now be resolved in Ui2, if this is the case and you can confirm this please provide the part number for the rear mech so I can make the appropiate changes to the notes. :smile: I will also try to get clarity on this myself.

We could end up with a really good thread once everyone has contributed the bit they know.

ziggys101

Über Member

I've just checked on the Canyon site where I bought mine, the standard cassette on the Swiss only Di2 (Ui2) model is in fact a 11-28 so you should be OK, look on the equipment tab in the link

https://www.canyon.com/_uk/roadbikes/bike.html?b=10023

Top Bottom