Shimano Di* do and do not.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
It would need to be updated regularly, but indication of how much more expensive electronic shifting is than cable shifting would be useful. I'm looking ahead a few years, but I'm wondering if electronic isn't the way to go the next time we have to change the tandem transmission. Which, at the moment is a mishmash of Ultegra, Dura Ace and XT to give a stupidly wide range: 53-11 down to 28-34.

It would need to be updated regularly, but indication of how much more expensive electronic shifting is than cable shifting would be useful.

Here's a tip - look up the price for your Di2 or Ui2 groupset - then compare with mechanical option = job done.

It may be that the Ui2 rear dérailleur, the CS6700 can take the 11-28 cassette where the Di2 7970 cannot then? Ziggys post would seem to confirm that the Canyon came with it, as would the Cube I had my eye on!

I have the CS6700 - do you have any experience with trying that mech with an 11-28 cassette? I'm guessing it may also be easier on the mech if it's running with a compact up front, so the longest chain combo is 50/28 rather than 53/28.

I think when the time comes (I was going to do it when I next replaced my chain) I'll get the 'advice' of the LBS, purely as I know they'll assume the 11-28 will fit, that way if it doesn't they should replace it for free! I'll let you know, however it's not likely to be soon...

OP
OP
Mr Haematocrit

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
It may be that the Ui2 rear dérailleur, the CS6700 can take the 11-28 cassette where the Di2 7970 cannot then? Ziggys post would seem to confirm that the Canyon came with it, as would the Cube I had my eye on!.

Looks to be the case, ^_^ one up on the score board for Ui2 then

Ultegra Di2 goes up to 28 officially- Shimano technical documents say so. Larger (i.e. MTB ) cassettes can work under circumstances Ask Nick: Proof that running an 11-32 on Ultegra Di2 is possible.

Great information and useful link, looks like I might have some editing to do eventually. :biggrin: -- Good to have this one confirmed one way or another .... Nice one guys.

OP
OP
Mr Haematocrit

Mr Haematocrit

Still working on the thread :biggrin:
Updated the shifting options...

Got my hands on Di2 11 speed today :biggrin:

BigTam

Über Member
My Merida Scultura Evo 905 Di2 (Ultegra) came with a 12-28 cassette.

If anyone local to me, Newcastle upon Tyne area, wants to play around with their Di2 (Ultegra) settings, I have the diagnostics tool.

OP
OP
Mr Haematocrit

Mr Haematocrit

If anyone local to me, Newcastle upon Tyne area, wants to play around with their Di2 (Ultegra) settings, I have the diagnostics tool.

Nice offer BigTam good on you. :thumbsup:
I recall having a discussion about the diagnostic tool with you, have you done much with it at this time?
I have some custom firmwear for Ui2 if you want it, swaps the shift to the opposite side of the bars.

BigTam

Über Member
Cheers for that V, I have been using the Shimano Etube project software, been having a play around, did use it to change shifters around, but was wierd when using them, back to stock now.

OP
OP
Mr Haematocrit

Mr Haematocrit

Cheers for that V, I have been using the Shimano Etube project software, been having a play around, did use it to change shifters around, but was wierd when using them, back to stock now.

lol, I know exactly what you mean, it took me about six months of creating weirdness in the shifting before I learnt enough to do anything really good with it. Some of the things suggested as being the holy grail such as being able to increase shifting speed im equally suspect of, the default setting chosen my Shimano is about right imho, any faster and the servo on the derailuers have trouble keeping up. You can get a tendency to throw chains.

Also let your LBS know you have the kit, they will often call you for assistence in troubleshooting issues, it works well for when you need a favor.

OP
OP
Mr Haematocrit

Mr Haematocrit

Ui2 News :-
Seems that electronic shifting is reaching the masses with Boardman now offering this as an option and singing the praises. Boardman bike are traditional great value for money and offer good specs for the money... For 2013 they have released the Air 9.0S and SLR 9.0S come equipped with Shimano Ultegra Di2 electric groupset, Mavic Aksium wheels, Shimano 105 brakes, FSA Energy chainset and retail for £2,699.99. and the Air 9.2S and SLR 9.2S models which also have Ultegra Di2 but have an uprated component spec, including Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheels, Ultegra brakes and FSA SLK Carbon chainset. The price for each of these models is £3,499.99.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest/534985/boardman-goes-electric-for-2013.html

Carbon

Veteran
Looks to be the case, ^_^ one up on the score board for Ui2 then

Great information and useful link, looks like I might have some editing to do eventually. :biggrin: -- Good to have this one confirmed one way or another .... Nice one guys.

Just to add my tuppence worth: I have run 11-25 and 11-27 Dura Ace cassettes with my Dura Ace Di2 equipped bike with no issue whatsoever. Shimano definitely only rate the RD-7970 up to a max of 27 teeth!! Here is the best Shimano tech document for setup / trimming of the gears!
http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/t...70/SI-6RX0A-005-ENG_v1_m56577569830707675.pdf

But I've wondered what if you were replace the standard 11t jockey wheels supplied with the rear RD with 10t jockey wheels, would they still work ok and would that free up the extra space required to run the elusive 28t cassette? Maybe someone out there has tried it??

Top Bottom