Shimano Exage 300, which cassette/chain?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bladesman73

Über Member
hi, just got myself a lovely 2nd hand dawes response bike from the 90s. It has a biopace front crank and 7 speed rear cassette. I am going to replace chain and cassette. Can i just get a standard shimano 7 speed cassette and just a bog std 7 speed chain? Any help much appreciated.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
hi, just got myself a lovely 2nd hand dawes response bike from the 90s. It has a biopace front crank and 7 speed rear cassette. I am going to replace chain and cassette. Can i just get a standard shimano 7 speed cassette and just a bog std 7 speed chain? Any help much appreciated.
Is it a cassette or a freewheel, could be either in 7 speed.

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
bladesman73

bladesman73

Über Member
Sram 139110 PC380 chain will do the trick, not expensive under a tenner.

The Dawes sounds nice, any piccies?
Ta man, just ordered shimano hg-200 cassette and CN HG40 7 speed chain before i saw ur post. Pic attached, not finished yet, needs brakes and gears recabling, bar tape adding, all been cleaned and polished tho. I only had long stem inners at home that i use for my deep section wheels on one of the other bikes, also tyres are spares i use for my carbon bike, may put gumwall tyres on tbis one..pic attached

Attachments

• 20201011_150619.jpg
    20201011_150619.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 117

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Very nice machine.

Should I ever get back to riding a bike again I'd definitely go (Modern) retro. My days of light, hi tech and fast are gone, I now crave simplicity.

Gunk

Guru
Very nice machine.

Should I ever get back to riding a bike again I'd definitely go (Modern) retro. My days of light, hi tech and fast are gone, I now crave simplicity.

I think a lot of us are going in that direction, they’re just a far nicer ownership experience. They have soul!

OP
OP
bladesman73

bladesman73

Über Member
Very nice machine.

And beautiful paint jobs, something very few modern bikes have.
Agree. Have 3 other modern racing bikes but this steel one kicks them into touch aesthetically, even the missus said it was lovely. Its reynolds 501 tubing, cant wait to ride it, could be a week or two away though.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I have a road Dawes of similar vintage - 'Ardaznails' paint finish though - when the bars bent a bit with use/crash damage I replaced with 'compact' bars with much less drop. Besides my admiration, already expressed, unless you are unusually flexible (or a similar age to the bike) the depth of those drops would be a deterrent to their use, however 'classic' the look. I presume the OLN is 126mm, but the 7 speed cassette will give you all the gears you need, for the climbs you're likely to choose to ride on this bike.

Top Bottom