Shimano Exage cassette removal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lugless

I have started to try to convert an old Raleigh Elan road bike to Single speed (Exage motion with Biopace chainrings) . The bike does not look like it's had any maintenance ever !! In need of some TLC for sure. I am struggling to remove the cassette, it looks like the Shimano lock ring tool should fit but it doesn't seem to. I have tried two chain whips in case it's Uniglide but it's not budging. Can anyone please help in identifying it and suggesting the best way to shift it.

Any advice welcome at the minute :0)

Attachments

• IMG_4016.JPG
    IMG_4016.JPG
    119.4 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_4017.JPG
    IMG_4017.JPG
    108.9 KB · Views: 141

midlife

Guru
Looks like a freewheel.

Splined freewheel remover :smile:. Best to put the axle back in to hold the remover in place.

replace-freewheel-400x280.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

lugless

That's superb, thank you. I'm learning as I go.

The rear wheel was held on with rust and in the process of removing the "quick release" the whole thing fell apart !!

midlife

Guru
If it's that rusty maybe a new wheel is in order? Bankruptbikeparts sometimes have the odd wheel in stock if you are on a budget.

Tim Hall

Don't forget that you don't need a chain whip to get a freewheel off. In fact if you do use one, you won't get it off.

OP
OP
L

lugless

Thanks guys, lesson 1 learned quite a few to go I suspect. Not the last silly question from me by a long chalk. Your help has saved me ripping a chain whip and a bicep :wacko:

Top Bottom