Shimano freehub - what lube?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
there was no need to link to bike lube and chainsaws

@Pat "5mph" The video you linked to was really useful and apposite. And since you didn't catch the oil name I thought I'd help by naming it. And if you look you'll see that that text was in quotes ie that was from a trawl of the 'net and the links were in the quote - I did not insert them.
I was seeking to deduce the type of oil being use: not the make but its nature.
That brand seems to be available here, at significant cost:
http://www.bricklanebikes.co.uk/phil-wood-tenacious-oil

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Cheers @Ajax Bay!
It is indeed expensive, do you think it is essential to use that for the job?
The guy in the video seemed to be using loads just for one hub, couple of bikes to service the whole wee bottle is gone.
@cyberknight is going to use wet lube.
What say you?

Ajax Bay

Guru
I profess no lugubrious expertise, @Pat "5mph" : I merely shared the name of the oil that you did not recognise plus what I thought was a useful description (by making comparison) of the nature of the oil used in the video (as opposed to just a 'name'). I'm sure there are other oils with these qualities, indeed that was the thrust of much of the 'net hits (mostly US because that's where PWTO is more heavily marketed).

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I've used chainsaw oil, and had it work quite well. I think Phil Woods Tenacious Oil is very much like it. It is very viscous, yet capable of protecting the myriad tiny little bearings and the pawls, without gumming them up. And it takes me a great long time to go through a quart bottle of chainsaw oil around bicycles. I no longer have a wood burning fireplace, so my auld McCulloch pretty much sits in the garage, anymore. On that, you can go through a quart pretty quickly, dependent on sort of wood.

Top Bottom