Shimano freehub - what lube?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robjh

Legendary Member
About 6 weeks ago I cleaned and re-lubed a Shimano freehub that was starting to stick. I used the same waterproof grease as I use in my hubs, for want of anything else. It all worked fine at first.

Anyway, it is now sticking again, and after some googling I reckon it could be my use of grease rather than oil, especially as it has seemed to be worst in cold snaps.

What do other people use to lubricate the bearings on these freehubs? I've only got a thin lube oil or else Finish Line wet at the moment. Would either of these do or is there another recommended (and easily available) type?

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
Is it an old freehub? Grease dries out eventually, but you may be able to revitalise the grease inside with some oil. The only alternative is to dismantle and regrease, but even Sheldon Brown didn't advocate that (huge number of small ball bearings).

OP
OP
robjh

robjh

Legendary Member
Is it an old freehub? Grease dries out eventually, but you may be able to revitalise the grease inside with some oil. The only alternative is to dismantle and regrease, but even Sheldon Brown didn't advocate that (huge number of small ball bearings).
It's a newish one- probably 2-3 years old but only used for half that time. I dismantled and regreased it last time and it wasn't that hard, but here I am 6 weeks later with the same problem. As I said, I wonder if my problem was just in my choice of grease.

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
It's a newish one- probably 2-3 years old but only used for half that time. I dismantled and regreased it last time and it wasn't that hard, but here I am 6 weeks later with the same problem. As I said, I wonder if my problem was just in my choice of grease.
In that case I'd have another go. What grease did you use last time? In my experience Shimano use quite a light grease in all their products. Maybe a trip to the local automotive shop and check out some different greases?

Edit: I think oil would work initially, but then get flung out of the seals after a few rides.

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
3-in-1 gets a bad reputation elsewhere on these forums but I suppose it would be better than the sticky grease I've got in there at the moment.
I agree, some really light oil might thin out the grease a little, assuming that high viscosity is the problem.

I have a tub of Castrol LM grease, which is rather thick, but I wondered if it would take on the Shimano thin grease consistency if I added a little oil and mixed it.

U

User482

About 6 weeks ago I cleaned and re-lubed a Shimano freehub that was starting to stick. I used the same waterproof grease as I use in my hubs, for want of anything else. It all worked fine at first.

Anyway, it is now sticking again, and after some googling I reckon it could be my use of grease rather than oil, especially as it has seemed to be worst in cold snaps.

What do other people use to lubricate the bearings on these freehubs? I've only got a thin lube oil or else Finish Line wet at the moment. Would either of these do or is there another recommended (and easily available) type?

It's possible that the freehub has worn out, but if not, you definitely don't want grease in there as it gums up the mechanism. There is a reason why I know this...

I would pry off the seal, flush with degreaser, fully dry, then re-lube. Finish Line Wet would probably work fine (that's what I used), or you could try car transmission oil if you have some.

lpretro1

Light oil only - not grease it will gum everything up

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
I'm afraid oil will just fling out and end up on your spokes, so it will work, but not for long. You can buy the proper grease if you want to shell out. If it doesn't work with the OEM grease it probably means your freehub body is knackered.

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Shimano-Special-grease-for-pawl-type-Freehub-Bodies_47604.htm

My freehub is absolutely packed with finish line white grease, but the springs in a Hope free hub are so powerful that it still works perfectly (and makes a racket that lets everyone else know where I am).

OP
OP
robjh

robjh

Legendary Member
I should clarify here that I was talking about lubing the race of small bearings on the wheel-end of the freehub body, that sit under a rubber ring-shaped dustcap. Not sure if that was clear to everyone, but thanks for the responses anyhow.

OP
OP
robjh

robjh

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4135927, member: 45"]OK, so what do you mean when you say it's sticking?[/QUOTE]
I mean that when I backpedal even slightly, especially on the smaller sprockets, then there is resistance in the freehub so that the upper part of the chain goes slack, while the derailleur pulls out forward as the bottom part of the chain gets effectively shorter. It never seizes entirely, but has got stiffer. There is no problem while pedalling forward.

What I was really asking (maybe clumsily) was :
- could using grease rather than oil in these bearings be the cause of the stickiness?
- if I should be using oil, then any recommendations as to what oil?

OP
OP
robjh

robjh

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4136088, member: 45"]Have you taken it off the hub? There are bearings on the inner side and if you're only dealing with the outer ones then this might be why you're getting recurrent problems.[/QUOTE]
yes, the ones on the inner side of the freehub body, with the body removed from the hub/wheel

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I mean that when I backpedal even slightly, especially on the smaller sprockets, then there is resistance in the freehub so that the upper part of the chain goes slack, while the derailleur pulls out forward as the bottom part of the chain gets effectively shorter. It never seizes entirely, but has got stiffer. There is no problem while pedalling forward.

What I was really asking (maybe clumsily) was :
- could using grease rather than oil in these bearings be the cause of the stickiness?
- if I should be using oil, then any recommendations as to what oil?
Are you sure it isn't the jockey wheels on the rear mech.

Top Bottom