Shimano front mech replacement.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
The front mech, FD-4403 triple 9 speed, is broken, the little cast lug that holds the spring has snapped.
It is over 20 years old, and seems to be well out of stock. Even the Bay of E doesn't have any.
So what is the replacement?

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I think most similar triple FD's will work. Just be sure to get band-on / braze-on as appropriate.
I think the 4703 is the more recent version but SORA or anything really should work ok. Somebody will doubtless be along soon to tell me I'm wrong and the reason why... let's see.

All uphill

Still rolling along
A quick Google throws new ones in stock at Cycleking.co.uk for £32.

I'd probably use something similar for £5 from our local cycle recycling project.
Key things are the seat post diameter and whether the derailleur is up from the clamp or down.

Good luck!

OP
OP
Paulus

Paulus

A quick Google throws new ones in stock at Cycleking.co.uk for £32.

I'd probably use something similar for £5 from our local cycle recycling project.
Key things are the seat post diameter and whether the derailleur is up from the clamp or down.

Good luck!
I've seen tha Cycle King site, but further down the page it then says item is inactive. So not in stock.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
FD are not sensitive to chain thickness - a sora or claris FD will suffice - with @All uphill 's caveat above.

also isnt it just the shifter that determines triple or double. the FD has capacity / movement range to take in triple or double - set limit screws accordingly

Reactions: C R

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
FD are not sensitive to chain thickness - a sora or claris FD will suffice - with @All uphill 's caveat above.

also isnt it just the shifter that determines triple or double. the FD has capacity / movement range to take in triple or double - set limit screws accordingly
actually the higher speed stuff are sensitive , i was trying to run a 9 speed FD with a 10 speed system and i could never get it to not rub , took it to the lbs who confirmed the FD fitted was wrong . as the number of speeds increased the width of the FD got smaller
eg 9 compared to 10 speed
1647971884366.png

Ajax Bay

Guru
The FD-4403 was/is notorious for failing in this way "the little cast lug that holds the spring has snapped [off]". Anyone who still has one fitted would be well advised to procure a replacement (except another FD-4403) either to fit or be ready to fit. The ones above and below in the Shimano food chain don't seem to have history for this mode of failure.
OP has done very well (depending on how much use that FD has had in the 20 years).
1647971884366-png.png
Give Bike Gremlin (Relja) credit ck: https://bike.bikegremlin.com/1297/bicycle-front-derailleur-compatibility/
And his additional info/comment:
"However, since the chain moves left-right on the rear sprockets, FD cage is a lot wider than the chain. That is why it is possible to mount a 10 speed FD and use it with a 6 to 8 speed chain.

"FDs are very forgiving in terms of speed number (even in terms of manufacturers), so they can be mixed and matched. One of the few pieces of equipment where it is possible to change a Campagnolo 10 speed with a Shimano 8 speed and it all works.

"When a FD for more speeds is put on a chain for fewer speeds, the only bad effect is more chain rub. Since the FD cage is narrower, smaller angling of the chain (when changing gears at the back) will cause it to rub the FD cage. With indexed shifters, a trimming option can help, while with friction shifters this is not an issue."

Last edited:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
actually the higher speed stuff are sensitive , i was trying to run a 9 speed FD with a 10 speed system and i could never get it to not rub , took it to the lbs who confirmed the FD fitted was wrong . as the number of speeds increased the width of the FD got smaller
View attachment 636481
agree, but I was suggesting either an 8 speed claris or 9 speed sora would work, as the rubbing is only an issue if he went to a 10 or 11 speed mech.

OP
OP
Paulus

Paulus

The FD-4403 was/is notorious for failing in this way "the little cast lug that holds the spring has snapped [off]". Anyone who still has one fitted would
This is the second failure of this type I have had. About 5 years back, the same model on my Audax bike failed the same way.
This mech is a couple of years older and has had plenty of use.
I have read today that this failure is quite common on this model.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
View attachment 636481

A 9 speed FD with 10 speed chain would mean more clearance surely?

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
A 9 speed FD with 10 speed chain would mean more clearance surely?
you would think so but it works the opposite way as the plate is further apart the upshot is it throws more to get a shift and the upper and lower end can be a bit out causing chain rub .For me it meant i would get the lower set right and the top would rub or vice versa (not cross chaining )

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
you would think so but it works the opposite way as the plate is further apart the upshot is it throws more to get a shift and the upper and lower end can be a bit out causing chain rub .For me it meant i would get the lower set right and the top would rub or vice versa (not cross chaining )

Ah, not an issue with friction shifting

Top Bottom