Shimano Grrrr!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Why don't they feckin' tell you when you buy shifters that one inner cable is now cut shorter than the other, or at least label the things front and rear. I've had to buy a new length of outer to replace the one I cut far too short trying to reach the rear mech with the front inner cable.

I know times are tough and costs have to be cut, but that little economy move must have saved them about a tenth of a yen. (Which they wisely didn't waste by actually printing the information on the instructions).

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You've been Shimanoed!^_^

Sorry.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy

ozboz

Guru
I am fairly sure my XT 's came pre loaded so to speak , tbh, ive never considered cutting before threading any cables through to the repective components for fear of fraying ,
being a bit ham fisted some times has caused me a few extra trips to the LBS over the years

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
A few clicks makes a difference of 10mm.
The distance from handlebar to FD compared to the distance from handlebar to RD accounts for 600mm in difference.

And... My point was it is easy and obvioys to determine which shifter is which and ensure you do not prematurely shorten a cable or realise you are teying to connect the front shifter to the rear. Difference in distance between FD and RD is irelevant.

OP
OP
Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
And... My point was it is easy and obvioys to determine which shifter is which and ensure you do not prematurely shorten a cable or realise you are teying to connect the front shifter to the rear. Difference in distance between FD and RD is irelevant.
The shift levers move inboard to change gear, so yes it is obvious as to which is which.

Top Bottom