Shimano Hydraulic STis

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Sniper68

Sniper68

It'll be Reyt.
This has helpful advice.
https://epicbleedsolutions.com/blogs/guides
If in doubt pay a decent local bike shop to do the initial setup properly and then normally all is fine. My current and previous bikes have shimano hydraulic disc brakes with the only issue being too much fluid in one reducing the pad clearance too far.
I''m going to try pumping and opening the caliper bleed valve then try the Epic Bleed 5 min bleed later.I've tried everything else.
It seems everyone i speak to who has Hydraulic road brakes all agree that they'll never feel as good as MTB hydraulics.I'm not prepared to accept that as they should!

Kajjal

Guru
I''m going to try pumping and opening the caliper bleed valve then try the Epic Bleed 5 min bleed later.I've tried everything else.
It seems everyone i speak to who has Hydraulic road brakes all agree that they'll never feel as good as MTB hydraulics.I'm not prepared to accept that as they should!
Mine have been fine once setup properly on two bikes. The general differences between flat bar bikes and dropped bar bikes mean the brakes do feel a bit better on MTB’s due to the difference in the brake levers even with the exact same callipers. That being said you should not be having the issues you are, good luck resolving them :okay:

OP
OP
Sniper68

Sniper68

It'll be Reyt.
Right here is where I am now:-
1.Bled the calipers by pumping the lever,holding and opening the bleed valve.
2.Did the EpicBleed 5 minute Bleed.
3.Adjusted reach and stroke.
Absolutely no improvement:angry::angry:
So I've stripped replaced hoses,barbs and olives,refilled with mineral oil and bled the system from scratch as per Shimano instructions.STILL no improvement:wacko:
So I did points 1&2 again.
Same:rolleyes:
It is now apparent that there are three possibilities:-
1.I have either one or two faulty levers.
2.I have either one or two faulty calipers.
3.All of the above!
There is also the (unlikely) possibility that I am far too picky and expect too much:stop:
The next step will be a wander around a couple of LBS to have a feel at both Shimano and SRAM levers.If mine feel different then Hope Calipers will be the next step.If that doesn't work and other bikes brakes feel similar to mine then I'll have to sell the bike and start again with the rim brake version frame-set!!
I absolutely love everything about the Lynskey but the brakes are letting it down.

JhnBssll

Veteran
I've just read the epic bleed 5 minute bleed instructions. In my experience any air has been in the calipers and this process won't help. The only way to remove it is by putting a vacuum on the caliper bleed port with a syringe while the lever is pulled back to the bars so you don't just pull the fluid through from the lever reservoir.

Chromatic

Legendary Member
After reading through this thread, and other similar threads, I can't help thinking that, at least as road bikes are concerned, then there's more than a bit of an emperor's new clothes situation with disc brakes.

Last edited:

JhnBssll

Veteran
After reading through this thread, and other similar threads, I can't help thinking that, at least as road bikes are concerned, then there's more than a bit of an emperor's new clothes situation with disc brakes.

Not really. I spend a similar amount of time bleeding hydraulics as I used to spend playing with brake block toe in, adjusting cables and replacing rims, but the brakes work better. Its a common misconception though, some people just don't like disc brakes on road bikes. Horses for courses :okay:

OP
OP
Sniper68

Sniper68

It'll be Reyt.
They make perfect sense!Despite my frustrations with these I really do love hydraulic brakes:becool:
I can't understand why Road Hydraulics can't be as good as MTB Hydraulics.It's basically the same thing!
I had a set of Hope Tech M4s and in 6 years I had them on three separate bikes.Never had to do anything other than change the pads.My mate bought them for his MTB three years ago and hasn't touched them other than pads.Almost a decade of totally maintenance free usage:okay: Maybe those Hopes have set a standard I can't replicate on road brakes?
I'm sure they could have ironed out the glitches on Road hydraulics by now...maybe there's more positive than negative feedback so they don't think they need to.

russ.will

Slimboy Fat
Did you get to the bottom of this?

I'm an ex-biker and could service my own Brembo Gold Line pad per piston calipers consistently and find my 785 brifters and 805 calipers spongier than Spongy Jack McSpongy with his spongiest hat on. I've tried all the 'assured' methods, including mounting the bike at extreme angles overnight on the work-stand, zip ties etc.

It really shouldn't be this hard. Don't get me wrong. The bike stops and I don't lose power on long winding downhills that need frequent and powerful braking. But the travel should be less and the feel greater. My 805 calipers s are nearly 10k miles old, so possibly past their best, but I never remember them feeling as immediate as my Campy Veloce rim brakes and that's old tech.

Hope RX4s are on the horizon I feel...

Russ

OP
OP
Sniper68

Sniper68

It'll be Reyt.
I’m going down the Hope RX4 route.
“One finger” braking should not be too much to ask!
I come from a motorcycling/Moto-X back ground and I want the same reasurring feel and feedback from the levers!

nickyburnell

Ancient thread but for anybody with same issues: Remove wheel. Take pads out. Pull lever VERY GENTLY whilst watching pads. Let them move about 1mm (you can go back and do more later if needed). Slacken caliper mounting, put pads in, put wheel back on. Centre caliper. It will be better. Do again to taste. Any slight rubbing go for a ride and use them/re-centre. Thanks to The Bike Sauce on YouTube for the tip.

Top Bottom