Shimano L02A - replacement / compatible brake pads.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wyre forest blues

Über Member
I have Shimano RS805 calipers on my Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1. The brake pads are L02a which need replacing. Has anyone used alternative brake pads to the L02a or any suggestion where I can source compatible pads. At £15.95 (Wiggle price) for a set Shimano L02a they are taking the proverbial p**s. Not much cheaper direct from China (Ali Express).

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Prices look to be between £12 and £16

You could look and see if disco brakes or Uber have compatible pads.

Road pads will last ages anyway !

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Shimano pads are eyewateringly expensive! You can save some cash by fitting the non-finned equivalent. I have done this in the past and recently bulk ordered a few set from germany which worked out cheapest per set even factoring the postage cost (you need to stock up to make this worthwhile).

Alternatively, have been happy with Discobrakes own brand stuff. Always work just as well but sometimes seem a bit noisy (Graunchy dry noise as opposed to wet squeal).

Can't see this model pad on their site just yet though

OP
OP
wyre forest blues

wyre forest blues

Über Member
Cant see the compatible on Disco or Uber. Have sent Uber a request message.
P.S. They don't last that long... 1000 miles and the rears need replacing, and I'm not on my brakes excessively (albit quite a bit of downhill braking recently) .

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Im not sure the RS 805 and RS785 take the same pads. I've an old pair of J02a from another bike so I will see if they fit.
Come back and let us know for sure. The listing on the discobrakes site I posted above lists the non-finned fitment....

upload_2018-6-25_17-48-14.png

OP
OP
wyre forest blues

wyre forest blues

Über Member
The Rs805 and RS785 take different size pads. The L02a for the 805 is a much narrower pad than the J02a for the 785. I have both these calipers on two of my bikes and have compared them side by side.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
The Rs805 and RS785 take different size pads. The L02a for the 805 is a much narrower pad than the J02a for the 785. I have both these calipers on two of my bikes and have compared them side by side.
OK, looks like the Discobrakes site has some duff info then. I was thinking the difference might just be down to cooling fin shape but your result shows the backing plate/friction area is also dimensionally different.

OP
OP
wyre forest blues

wyre forest blues

Über Member
I sent Uber a request 2 days ago and they cant be bothered to reply. Probably havent got anything compatible. I have therefore purchased 4 sets of K02s (non finned) for £23.36 including postage from bike-discount. Bargain compared with UK prices.

si_c

Guru
Just as a note, the K02s pads are the resin ones, which is partly why they wear so quickly - they're much quieter, but I've not been impressed with longevity. The sintered versions are the K04s, which last much longer, although they can be a bit noisier. You can find them online for around a tenner or so.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
@wyre forest blues Can you let me know how you get on with the K02s, as I am in the same situation as you. AT £8 a pair, it seems crazy to go for the double the price finned version, especially as it is just for a winter bike without alpine descents.

si_c

Guru
@wyre forest blues Can you let me know how you get on with the K02s, as I am in the same situation as you. AT £8 a pair, it seems crazy to go for the double the price finned version, especially as it is just for a winter bike without alpine descents.
I've used finned and non finned versions, couldn't tell the difference really, but like you said, I've not done long alpine descents on them.

Top Bottom