Shimano M324 Pedals.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Anyone using them and can advise on use in workboots?

So having just got myself a new job I may need to be commuting by bike a couple of days a week.

It's not very far, and certainly not far enough to warrant getting all kitted out for.

So my plan is to stick to the mountain bike and throw some combination pedals on.

That way I can jump on it with work boots on, and still clip in at weekends for 'proper' rides.

I currently use Shimano M424 SPD pedals, but they aren't a big enough platform for my plates of meat in normal shoes/boots.

I've seen the Shimano M324 pedals which look to have a larger platform, (but are a tad pricey for what me TBH), but I would welcome any info from any users of them, especially wearing work boots.

Criteria;
* As large a platform as possible, (to accommodate size 12 work boots)
* Don't want to spend a lot of mullah, simple as that.

Or....I consign the Marin to purely commuting duties by just sticking some proper flat pedals on, and then use my road bike at weekends?

Oh yes, and I believe my new employer has a C2W scheme :whistle:

T.I.A. :cheers:

raleighnut

Legendary Member

the snail

Guru
They're very good pedals, with good bearings inside, probably better quality than most. Drawback is that you need a special tool to service them. Mine are still going strong after 10 years.

figbat

Slippery scientist
I agree with the consensus - great pedal, faff to service. I have them on my hardtail and gravel bike and have only had to service one, once, and I managed to bodge it with tools I had but it wasn’t pretty. In use the flat side is plenty secure enough for me.

I agree with the consensus - great pedal, faff to service. I have them on my hardtail and gravel bike and have only had to service one, once, and I managed to bodge it with tools I had but it wasn’t pretty. In use the flat side is plenty secure enough for me.
I actually have the tool but it doesn"t actually fit some of the pedal internals! I gather it might be an idea to deburr some of the pedal nuts. Building up confidence to have another go at servicing my spare pair.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Can i ask why?
Are they user servicable with normal tools?
I may have a pair somewhere.
The shimano 324s i find excellent, tho servicing them is a pig as noted upthread.
I've got both and I think the Wellgo ones look a lot nicer :becool: both have performed well over the 18 or years I've had them (never needed adjustment or servicing other than a dribble of oil every year or so)

And the Wellgo ones are on my Ridgeback,

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
The M324s are fiddly to service even with the tool. Getting the 31 loose 3/32" bearings in position takes real sleight of hand. The first one I did took me over 2 hours to rebuild but I've got it down to 15 mins now. A *very* weakly magnetised pointer is helpful for placing the balls in the recessed inner race, where the grease can then grab them.

They are, as said above, expensive for what they are, especially compared to the double-sided pedals.

OP
OP
smokeysmoo

smokeysmoo

Legendary Member
Thanks for the replies folks :cheers:

TBH I've never serviced a pedal in my life, but then again my mileage is negligible next to most on here :shy:

The M324s are fiddly to service even with the tool. Getting the 31 loose 3/32" bearings in position takes real sleight of hand. The first one I did took me over 2 hours to rebuild but I've got it down to 15 mins now. A *very* weakly magnetised pointer is helpful for placing the balls in the recessed inner race, where the grease can then grab them.
Too true. One of my pairs is resting after an encountered problem including losing a ball. Some would say i should have left well alone, but i did trash my first pair through lack of servicing. And i can't even get the cage off those now anyway as it's seized - should have been removed and screws greased.
Re magnetisim and bearings, yes makes far easier. Some allen keys are magnetic. My pedros are and the ball ends are excellent for bearing wrangling.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Changing pedals is easy so why not get a cheapish pair for work and go back to the others for weekend use. I got a pair of flats in Tesco a long time ago and they still work well with infrequent servicing.

Changing pedals is easy so why not get a cheapish pair for work and go back to the others for weekend use. I got a pair of flats in Tesco a long time ago and they still work well with infrequent servicing.
That would be a drag twice a week. And always a possibility of buggering the threads up.

Top Bottom