Shimano M520 SPD pedal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonj2

l4dva said:
Got my pedals today! Brilliant Service from Merlin, ordered yesterday in my hands today! Recorded delivery as well.

I poped into my LBS on my way home, they had some smart looking specialized shoes

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=40334&eid=342

These were £50 and for this they would set my pedals, cleats and everything to fit me. Seems reasonable for commuting. I'll have to go back another day to try them out.

nice, exactly same shoes as what i've got!

bonj2

Radius said:
Oh sure, I'm talking emergency only. Most of the time I only ever unclip my left foot for normal stops etc. Often go whole rides without unclipping right foot.
I *always* go whole rides without unclipping my left foot! Only unclip right foot at junctions. Only ever unclip left foot if on the mtb and need to read the map/book/wait for slower mate.

I once did a whole commute (22 miles, from one town, through another, to a third) without unclipping *at all*, with either foot....

Am I the only one who leaves left foot clipped in and unclips right, rather than the other way round? I can't possibly do it the other ('normal') way, it'd be like writing left handed

Joe24 said:
Sorry, im not being difficult, im actualy wondering.
If you just unclip your left foot when you stop, why would you need to unclip your right, except for when you get off the bike and walk away from it, which surely cant be often?

Even in emergencies i only unclip my left foot, sometimes i wait incase i dont need to and unclip it at the last moment. Not recomended for when your not used to it though.
i always do that. I can't do a full on trackstand but usually just do a semi one and unclip during it if necessary.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
bonj said:
i always do that. I can't do a full on trackstand but usually just do a semi one and unclip during it if necessary.

You cant trackstand, not even on your fixed?;)
I did 72miles yesterday, i clipped in at home, then the next i unclipped was at the cafe. Then i clipped in at the cafe, then the next time i unclipped was at the LBS, then i rode home from the LBS without unclipping.
Trackstanding is the best:becool:

bonj2

not very well no, not a proper lasting one :sad:
could probably learn if i could be bothered but i can't really.
I can do semi-ones/short ones, might just try extending them, or might practice on the lawn this summer, if i can be arsed.

I can't bunny hop on my mtb either, which I think is probably harder. My mate keeps telling me it's "at the heart of mountain biking" and that I "really should learn because it will improve everything else" but I've never really seen the need - i've tried, and can't do it, and i've never felt restricted due to not being able to so i don't bother!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Nope, me too

bonj said:
Am I the only one who leaves left foot clipped in and unclips right, rather than the other way round? I can't possibly do it the other ('normal') way, it'd be like writing left handed

Cubist

Still wavin'
bonj said:

I can't bunny hop on my mtb either, which I think is probably harder. My mate keeps telling me it's "at the heart of mountain biking" and that I "really should learn because it will improve everything else" but I've never really seen the need - i've tried, and can't do it, and i've never felt restricted due to not being able to so i don't bother!

Bonj, I thought this too until I rode out with a club along a path with some wide ditches to negotiate. They were about a foot across with stone edges, an absolute recipe for disaster or pinchflats. The guy in front of me lifted his front wheel over first, then simply transferred his weight forward and lifted the back wheel over. I had to get off and push. I decided I would learn how to do it for next time. It's really simple, if an old fat git like me can master it in half an hour! Youtube has loads of instructional videos. It's useful for jumping over obstructions on the path like logs, or even piles of dogshit.

Top Bottom