Shimano M520 SPD pedal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ACS

Legendary Member
Joe24 said:
I have had 4 sets of clipless pedles. All of which came with cleats. I even have M520s, and they came with cleats. It doesnt say on that website they dont come with cleats.
Why would they take the cleats out from the box?
Would you like me to take a picture of the box that M520s come in?

When did this thread become Joe24 and his shoe box collection or are you about to contaminate yet another discussion?

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
satans budgie said:
When did this thread become Joe24 and his shoe box collection or are you about to contaminate yet another discussion?
Woooah hang on!
Right, i have replied saying that the cleats should be included. Which they will be. Why would they just remove the cleats from box that the peddles come in, and knock abit off?
All i have said, is i have had 4 sets of clipless peddles, all of them came with cleats, so why should they be any different? Ive got M520s, they came with cleats. I didnt get them cheap, but that shouldnt make a difference.
Im answering the question of whether the cleats come with the peddles. Am i not allowed to answer this?
Im not contaminating a thread, im answering it. If i took this well off topic and put a post on that was purposly to wind someone up, that would be me thread spoiling. Im not, so im not.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
They should come with cleats - just phone and check. you do have to look about at the moment due to the exchange rises, lots of Shimano stuff has almost doubled. The M520's at £20 are a bargain. I managed to get some XT M770's in the autumn for about £45, then the prices shot up to £70, and I've just managed to get another set for £46 by looking round.

1st set came in the proper box with cleats, second set came in a bag, with cleats and the reflector adapters....anyone want the reflectors ?

ACS

Legendary Member
Joe24 said:
Woooah hang on!
Right, i have replied saying that the cleats should be included. Which they will be. Why would they just remove the cleats from box that the peddles come in, and knock abit off?
All i have said, is i have had 4 sets of clipless peddles, all of them came with cleats, so why should they be any different? Ive got M520s, they came with cleats. I didnt get them cheap, but that shouldnt make a difference.
Im answering the question of whether the cleats come with the peddles. Am i not allowed to answer this?
Im not contaminating a thread, im answering it. If i took this well off topic and put a post on that was purposly to wind someone up, that would be me thread spoiling. Im not, so im not.

On reflection a little harsh and I apologise. Pictures of boxes……a sarcastic comment to far? Observation nothing more.

If you pay full price for an item in this case £39.99 I would expect cleats, box and top class service, however, in this case we are looking at half that price. Even if cleats are £10 a pair I doubt if the vendor could sell a pair of pedals at just over £10 a pair. It just makes sense to err on the side of caution and assume that the cleats are not included unless the contrary is established.

If I am wrong then I will place another myself, would be a fool not too.

OP
OP
L

l4dva

Guru
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/dhb_M1_Cycling_Shoes/5360033176/

I am thinking of ordering these to go with the pedals.....has anyone used them, what are they like? how heavy are they? and will I be able to walk in them?

scook94

Veteran
I looked at those but the reviews on Bikeradar put me off, about them falling apart after less than a years use.

In the end I ordered these. They're very narrow, even though I ordered a 43 against my usual 42. The quality is on the lower end of the scale, but I can certainly walk in them.

They only arrived today, so not had the chance to ride with them yet.

I'd say either would do as your first clipless shoe...

Radius

SHREDDER
I did the same as Steven above, got the M076s. Been fine so far, but not had them all that long. Comfy though, which is important.

scook94

Veteran
Out of interest, how loose would you all advise for the spring tension as a "starting" point for the first ride? All the way open, half way, or...?

Radius

SHREDDER
I'd say all the way open until you get the feeling of clipping in and out right. I tightened them after the first or second day, because I knew how they would 'react' and what tightening them would do. But I would start easiest, the setting's there for a reason, so you might as well use it!

scook94

Veteran
Ok, thanks. Was just concerned the might be too loose and pop out. My multitool doesn't have an allen key the right size but I have another set of allen keys I'll take along with me on the next ride in case they need tightening up.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Have them at a pretty loose setting(they come in this at the start anyway) then when your used to them tighten them up abit
I tightened mine up alot, my cleats wore and i tightened them up some more. Then someone with new cleats tried to clip into my peddles and he couldnt:laugh:
So, loose setting so its easy to clip in and out, then when your confident, still dont tighten them(might get too cocky and have a clipless moment) then after a few more weeks tighten them up

Top Bottom