Shimano M785 R785 brake pad security pin spring clip Y8JZ98010

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I just noticed that the tiny snap ring from the caliper pin on my front brakes is missing. I am particular about things like this and suspect it went missing during a visit to the supplier for some warranty work a couple of weeks ago (I have even checked the pictures of the bike I took before sending it and the clip can be seen on them).
I have found the part I need and it is the snap ring that comes with this - Y8JZ98010

upload_2017-10-10_12-30-28.png

Deep down I know I don't really need it and the pin is unlikely to work lose on it's own but.....

Does anyone know of a supply for the snap rings that doesn't involve buying the full pin & clip at £3-4 a go?

U

User6179

Could you not make one out of say a paper clip or the like

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Could you not make one out of say a paper clip or the like
You don't seem to understand :tongue:

A rusty nail pushed through and bent over, instead of the specific threaded pin, would work just as well but there is a purpose made specific part that fits perfectly and I would like to have it. The snap ring is actually formed from square profile wire so it fits into the groove in the pin securely. These things matter to me :wacko:

U

User6179

You don't seem to understand :tongue:

A rusty nail pushed through and bent over, instead of the specific threaded pin, would work just as well but there is a purpose made specific part that fits perfectly and I would like to have it. The snap ring is actually formed from square profile wire so it fits into the groove in the pin securely. These things matter to me :wacko:

Sorry I hadn't factored in OCD
Obsessional Clip Disorder ^_^

Only £2 quid at wiggle, free delivery on orders over £9

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Sorry I hadn't factored in OCD
Obsessional Clip Disorder ^_^

Only £2 quid at wiggle, free delivery on orders over £9
Good spot. :okay: It didn't come up using the part number in the search bar or on google but straight to it when using 'brake snap ring' :wacko:

Two now on order as part of a bigger basket I was about to hit 'Go' on. Funnily enough, it was those barstewards that lost the original. I reckon it must be a money making conspiracy....

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Had an issue last year where I had to drill out and extract said screw from a caliper on my CX bike. Now use split pins , in fact the replacement pads come with split pins ! Read into that what you will.....

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Have fitted the MTB caliper pins to my roadbike calipers. I prefer the Allen key heads to the straight slot screwdriver ones. The pins and clips fit just fine except the MTB version is slightly longer by approx 3mm but this isn't a problem.

You do need the screw and clip.

Mine pinged off on a ride once and the pads kept moving in the caliper everytime I braked creating a juddering vibration.

I don't know the science behind it and I couldn't work out why fully. I think the pin slides slightly when the piston is compressed and the clips acts as a retainer. I did have to keep stopping and pressing the pads back into position everytime I braked, it was highly annoying.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
The small c-clip is doing heehaw apart from a fail safe function. The screw is threaded and screws into the other side of the caliper. Replacement pads come with split pins not screws. Why the difference other than cost I have no idea. As long as the brake pad is not moving up and down and held vertically and allowed to move horizontally then you can use whatever you like. Unless of course you taking about the bigger spring clips that go across the brake pads themselves, these are defo a requirement !

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I don't know the science behind it and I couldn't work out why fully. I think the pin slides slightly when the piston is compressed and the clips acts as a retainer. I did have to keep stopping and pressing the pads back into position everytime I braked, it was highly annoying.

Something wrong there. As per above post the clip is just a fail safe and the screw/bolt is threaded into one side of the caliper and shouldn't move at all.

Top Bottom