Shimano PD-R540 SPD SL pedal wear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RegG

Über Member
I have been using my Shimano PD-R540 SPD SL clipless pedals for about 20 months/2500 miles now and notice the left hand pedal shows more signs of wear on the body than the right hand pedal. This is no doubt due to the fact I unclip my left foot first. I've also noticed that it is becoming slightly more difficult to clip in with my left foot.

My question is: how long do these pedals last before they need replacing?

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Your left foot is no doubt in contact with the ground and clipped in & out more often than your right foot therefore the difficulties you are having may be due to cleat wear. A Shimano pedal providing it is maintained properly should last much longer than 2500 miles.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I've had my current ones for 8? 9? 10? years now and they're still going strong. Bit of cosmetic damage but working perfectly.

As suggested, try changing your cleats. Also consider adjusting the pedal tension. And make sure the spring is clean and lubricated.

Last edited:
I've had my current ones for 8? 9? 10? years now and they're still going strong. Bit of cosmetic damage but working perfectly.

As suggested, try changing your cleats. Also consider adjusting the pedal tension. And make sure the spring is clean and lubricated.
I'm pretty much the same. If the spring in the mech gets grimy / dry, it can make the pedal seem stiff when unclipping.

OP
OP
RegG

RegG

Über Member
Thanks for the replies. I have recently fitted new cleats and pedal tension is at the lowest setting. Haven't looked at the pedals themselves to see if they are dirty/dry but will check them over.

U

User6179

Thanks for the replies. I have recently fitted new cleats and pedal tension is at the lowest setting. Haven't looked at the pedals themselves to see if they are dirty/dry but will check them over.

What colour are the cleats , I found the ones with less float harder unclip when new, but they either got easier or I just got used to them .

U

User6179

They are the yellow ones and I normally find them ok to use.

Yep yellow ones usually quite easy to unclip .

Top Bottom