Shimano R8000 groupset setup

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've not been able to find much information aside from the Shimano dealers docs on how to setup the new R8000 front and rear mechs, normally it would be a problem because as long back as i can remember setting up Shimano road front and rear mechs has been almost identical, that was until i bought the R8000 groupset.

At the weekend I removed my perfectly working Ultegra 6800 and started to assemble the R8000 only to be totally baffled by amount of changes to both the rear and front mechs, after googling for videos and reading the docs, I still wasnt any the wisers and about to bail to the LBS option, but then I found this super detailed easy to understand video for the front mech setup

View: https://youtu.be/-3_EU4cccW4

I'm sharing it here in the hope that anyone else undertaking the same upgrade might find this thread.

I've not yet found one for the rear mech or shifters, if I do i'll add it here.

Last edited:
The link you provided just goes to a photo,
I find this the best video for thr rear mech...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzvfCaIbyQ

Thanks link fixed

I should also say the new gears are totally different from previous setups hence my thread
The R7000 105 has the same strange new cable routing in the front and rear mechs, and the odd little triangle hinge thing on the FD. I fitted an R7000 GS to one of my bikes last year, and I know exactly what you mean. The front mech cable routing is fairly straight forward if you understand the little sticker with the instructions on it. The rear cable routing is also fairly obvious, once you’ve got it the right way round. If you get the routing back to front ( it’s easily done) the shifting / indexing simply won’t work.

OP
OP
itboffin

itboffin

Guru
Good to know, I have to admit the rear mech has me stumped already, where the hanger both fixes to the bike there two protruding lugs I assumed the b-screw resting point went between those, no idea why but anyway turns out that's not the case, so why have two?

then there's that alignment A screw, which makes sense now I think.

Will Spin

Über Member
In my experience with Shimano group sets, it is best to read the manufacturer's manual first rather than rely on other sources of information.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
My new Trek came with one of the new fangled short-arm FD's and they are a nightmare to set up.

LBS (Wheelbase, Staveley, Lake District) were stumped and had 2 goes and couldn't manage it. I spent most of a day on it and couldn't manage it. Complained to Trek (US) via their live chat and they said that they were 'problematic'.

In the end I gave up and the LBS fitted FOC the last iteration of the 105 long arm FD which is a doddle.

The problem with the R series FD's seems to be that whatever you do you end up with one of the 4 FD positions missing (there are two 'trims').

The new short arm FD's solve rear tire clearance issues on chubby tyred bikes.

My old style 'long arm' still clears my 32mm Marathon Supremes by almost a cm at minimum.

OP
OP
itboffin

itboffin

Guru
still waiting for my cable outers to arrive. as for multiple trim settings I remember years back installing my first Campag groupset and was dumbfounded by the six positions on the left (front) double shifter, trimming on the up and down shifts which i now love and rarely use but nice to know its there.

OP
OP
itboffin

itboffin

Guru
Gear cables arrived today, i've gone with Jagwire pro outers in frame matching grey and very nice it looks too, i almost wish i hadnt bought the Shimano dura ace brake cableset in dull grey now, oh well!

Anyway I managed to setup the rear mech. and aside from the silly 2mm high and low screws it was just a simple as any other Shimano rear mech too install and setup, I had a stab at the front but found it too fiddly for the time I had available, that's a job for the weekend me thinks.

OP
OP
itboffin

itboffin

Guru
Yeah that video would be of no use the R8000 front mech is totally different to all before it, from the new cable routing to the stabilising screw and chainring alignment, all totally different in the new groupsets.

OP
OP
itboffin

itboffin

Guru
fitting the mech's today, front wasn't that difficult but the high / low adjustment screws are periodically rubbing in the high front & rear positions, i've left the cable long enough to adjust after a bit of use, i'm not 100% its setup right even through shifting up and down are perfect if a little noisy.

The rear is easy enough even though the new cable location means you need to manually bend the gear cable out before cutting, seems to me like they should have continued the guide round the screw mounting.

As noted elsewhere on the web the rear barrel adjust isn't as effective as previous models.

Top Bottom