Shimano Rear WH-R501 Cone and ball bearing replacement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hello all after finding that rear wheel was suffering some slight play I thought I had better sort out cone bearing adjustment After stripping down and starting to clean and overhaul all parts find that both Right and left cones are just starting to become marked. But on looking at finding spare cones can only find left hand cone replacement! from SJS Cycles the ball bearings are not dull or marked but if I can get both Right and left cones probably will have to get bearings anyway Have uploaded pics so you can see cone marks Are the both left and right cones the same because they don't look like it still what do I know. Thanks for your thoughs 01driveside.JPG Non driveside .JPG 01driveside.JPG Non driveside .JPG Both sides c.JPG

Last edited:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I will watch this thread, i have the same wheels .I would have said they look ok but i will leave it to others more knowledgeable .

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
They look perfect to me, I wouldn't replace them, just pop new bearings in if needed and make sure not to set them too tight. Remember, a small bit of play is fine if this disappears when the quick release is done up. I have even used slightly pitted cones for many miles in the past, again fresh grease and critical to get the free play just right so the play is just nipped up when the qr is tight.

NickNick

I'd agree with the other posters, from the pics it doesn't look like its pitted & rough, looks more cosmetic at this stage, should have good few miles left in them. Might as well get some fresh bearings as they're cheap and easy to come by and then grease it up. I also find when I've repacked them that its worth taking the wheel off after a decent ride or two and checking that the cones don't need tightening a tad after the grease has worked in a bit.

Thanks all of you for your thoughts on this its just me then being a bit over reactive as did have some problem on the front set of cone bearings as one of them was quite badly pitted, but did replace them 18 months ago. But for the life of me can't remember where I got them from according to what I've just read on the Park tool maintenance of wheel bearings the rear ball bearings are 1/4" imperial size for the this Shimano WH-R501 So could anybody tell me where I might purchase the right 18 new ball bearings please

Ajax Bay

Guru
tell me where I might purchase the right 18 new ball bearings please
LBS
bicyclechain

arch684

Veteran
Thanks all of you for your thoughts on this its just me then being a bit over reactive as did have some problem on the front set of cone bearings as one of them was quite badly pitted, but did replace them 18 months ago. But for the life of me can't remember where I got them from according to what I've just read on the Park tool maintenance of wheel bearings the rear ball bearings are 1/4" imperial size for the this Shimano WH-R501 So could anybody tell me where I might purchase the right 18 new ball bearings please
Simply bearings is where i buy all my bearings and the are cheaper

Thanks Ajax & Archie I wish I'd seen your post a minuet ago because I have just ordered some from https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/bearings/shimano-14-inch-steel-ball-bearings-18pcs-000-9131/ And so will wait for them to get here now though shame I didn't see it as could have gone over to LBS bicycle chain and got them straight away as not very far from home
Derrick Not sure that the sizing of the hub is the same but will post pic up of hub cup as you may realise the dura ace is more than a little up market than the humble wheels I have

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
[QUOTE
Derrick Not sure that the sizing of the hub is the same but will post pic up of hub cup as you may realise the dura ace is more than a little up market than the humble wheels I have[/QUOTE]
I only mentioned it as you could be wasting your time and money, if the inner race is shot the wheels will never run smooth.:okay:

chriscross1966

Über Member
Simply Bearings do a good range, not expensive and to a better spec than Campagnolo's legendary bottom bracket and wheel bearings if you want.

Top Bottom