Shimano release new Dura Ace and Ultegra 12 speed group sets

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mustang1

Legendary Member
I think the primary smoothness comes from the different shaped teeth in the sprockets?

I like the 54 tooth chain ring that promotes straighter chain lines more of the time.

Also heard that you can now shift under maximum load and that it's Di2 only. I really liked having the option of a mechanical linkage though.

Is it true that only the rear derailleur is wireless but the front derailleur continues its traditional cable actuation?

OP
OP
Buck

Buck

Guru
Front and rear derailleur are both wired to the battery with the levers wireless.

The rear derailleur acts as the ANT and Bluetooth wireless communicator to the wireless levers.

I think that the really big point is that Ultegra is now Di2 only, which makes sense to me as Ultegra and 105 have been too similar in the recent past to really warrant two separate products.

It is also slightly worrying to see a new cable design as Di2 cables are not easy to self assemble as the connectors are not readily available .... and that's being tactful.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I guess it's not of immediate importance to any of us as we aren't pros (Dura Ace) and we probably aren't Ultegra users, or few of us are. But it's interesting nonetheless, especially the absence of cable actuated gears.

I guess it makes sense that if you are paying for the very top of the range kit you're unlikely to want a cable actuated derailleur so dropping that option on these ranges makes sense.

@MichaelW2 makes a good point that the high tolerances and materials required for top performance of 12 speed might be dropped if it were to "trickle down" resulting in a substandard product. But I actually trust Shimano on that one. If they were to release, say, 12 Speed Tiagra that is actually shite and changes gear like a bag of spanners compared with 10S Tiagra people will soon notice and their brand will be damaged.

I do like the idea of wireless actuated gears. It appeals to me. Not that I expect to be using them any time soon, if ever. But maybe one day. Thing is I still have a new-ish 105 setup that needs to wear out first. Better get riding ;)

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Speak for yourself. Dura Ace and Ultegra here, but about 30 years old and 8 speed !:laugh:
I was going to say "and if any of us are using them they will be antique versions", but for some reason I didn't! :smile:

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
Shame the new Shimano offering isnt fully wireless like SRAM AXS, but they have at least made the key areas wireless as this is the cable run that was the hardest to hide if you didnt have a frameset with full internal routing support (through the headset).

I will probably still go for SRAM AXS on my next build, probably full fat Red as I love how the crankset looks (although I do prefer the Force black rear cassette over the Red offering).

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Shame the new Shimano offering isnt fully wireless like SRAM AXS, but they have at least made the key areas wireless as this is the cable run that was the hardest to hide if you didnt have a frameset with full internal routing support (through the headset).

I will probably still go for SRAM AXS on my next build, probably full fat Red as I love how the crankset looks (although I do prefer the Force black rear cassette over the Red offering).

AXS is superb. I've got Force and agree the red crankset is much sexier...but even the "cheaper" system is incredible.

Top Bottom