Shimano release new Dura Ace and Ultegra 12 speed group sets

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Buck

Guru
They join SRAM in the 12 speed arena

more details here https://road.shimano.com/uk/stories/science-of-speed

The “old” versions may reduce in price but as supplies are limited at present this may not happen?

Ive got Ultegra Di2 on one of my bikes and it is something to behold so I think any improvements may be marginal and perhaps the biggest benefit will be the smoothness of shifting as there will be smaller gaps between the different ratios.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
well its probably one 2T gap that becomes a 1T gap, so not a lot of smoothness difference. It becomes marginally more sensitive to set up as the sprockets are fractionally closer together and it makes more money for Shimano!!

OP
OP
Buck

Buck

Guru
Yes I’m sure it’ll be very expensive and give bike manufacturers a reason to further increase their prices but I’d love to be proved wrong!

Nebulous

Guru
I knew they were going to 12 speed for Dura-ace. I didn't know they were doing the same with Ultegra. As someone who has ordered a new bike with Ultegra Di2 I need to think about what this means to me. Hopefully I'll be offered an upgrade path for a modest premium.

OP
OP
Buck

Buck

Guru
I knew they were going to 12 speed for Dura-ace. I didn't know they were doing the same with Ultegra. As someone who has ordered a new bike with Ultegra Di2 I need to think about what this means to me. Hopefully I'll be offered an upgrade path for a modest premium.

What bike have you gone for? Unless they’re already built then you would think that they would ‘naturally’ move to the new group set as I can’t imagine any bike builder would be holding much if any stock of the current model.

You‘ll love Di2 regardless of which iteration it is. Yes, it’s a luxury but it’s so nice to have and the precision and ease of use is to behold!

Nebulous

Guru
What bike have you gone for? Unless they’re already built then you would think that they would ‘naturally’ move to the new group set as I can’t imagine any bike builder would be holding much if any stock of the current model.

You‘ll love Di2 regardless of which iteration it is. Yes, it’s a luxury but it’s so nice to have and the precision and ease of use is to behold!

I've ordered a titanium bike from Reilly cycleworks. I have a thread about it here.

Scratching a titanium itch | CycleChat Cycling Forum

As the main delay in building it seems to be availability of parts, particularly gearsets, I'd hope I do get the opportunity to upgrade.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I'm convinced. How much?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I think the biggest benefit might be to Shimano share holders rather than the shifting if the responses here are anything to go by to the Kings New Clothes :smile:

SRAM 12 speed Eagle is a bit of a 'bugger' to set up properly - the manual wired stuff - apparently AXS is miles better (wireless electric).

Top Bottom