Scratching a titanium itch

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nebulous

Guru
I haven't been on here much recently. Moved home, retired and was finding very little time to cycle.

That has changed, and I've picked it up a bit, with a 200 and 300 audax coming up at the end of the month. Feeling much better for it too.

Anyway, I find myself in a reasonably secure financial position and I'm considering a new bike.

I'm quite drawn to Reilly cycleworks, particularly the spectre. Does any one have one?

Any other suggestions?

I want it for relatively long distance stuff, specifically audax. Almost exclusively surfaced roads, no bike-packing. Probably what would have been called a fast tourer.

Discs, high spec, possibly Di2, dynamo and guards. Looking to go wider, possibly 32mm tyres with the guards.

At the moment I have a genesis equilibrium disc with 105 for audax. Maximum tyres it can take are 28s. It's up to the job, I've fettled it a bit, but I've never been excited by it. Anything I buy, as befits the price, would need to feel like a significant improvement over the Genesis.

vickster

Legendary Member
Something lush from Enigma?
@Soltydog got a tasty Ti build from them IiRC

raggydoll

Über Member

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
So I won't suggest the Vaast A/1 magnesium framed bike, then.
Interesting - I like that! I thought they had given up on magnesium years ago.

In regard to Ti read the fine text on warranty and it should be lifetime and more importantly it should be replace and not repair. I am aware Van Nicholas and Sabbath specially say they will replace and not repair which is the right standard. The concern is the cracks on welds.

Ti is excellent for long rides, low maintenance and lower weight. The purpose of a Ti however is it's longevity.

Unfortunately most of them leave it at "lifetime".

cheys03

Veteran
I had a chat with a gent who had recently taken delivery of a J.Laverack - so it’s not a direct recommendation but he was chuffed to bits and I have to say, the bike looked absolutely stunning. It definitely impressed me so am keeping one in mind for a ‘unlikely but one can dream’ future purchas
https://www.jlaverack.co.uk/

edit: ah. 10yr original owner warranty only. Glad this thread made me check that

Last edited:

greenmark

Guru
In regard to Ti read the fine text on warranty and it should be lifetime and more importantly it should be replace and not repair. I am aware Van Nicholas and Sabbath specially say they will replace and not repair which is the right standard. The concern is the cracks on welds.

Ti is excellent for long rides, low maintenance and lower weight. The purpose of a Ti however is it's longevity.

Unfortunately most of them leave it at "lifetime".

To add... some have "lifetime" warranties which are valid for the lifetime of the frame. That means that the warranty is invalid as soon as the frame breaks.

Look out for get out clauses such as "useful product cycle" or "end of normal life expectancy".

OP
OP
N

Nebulous

Guru
Thanks folks - helping me to narrow it down. I started particularly interested in the Van Nicholas Yukon, but have ruled it out on some compromises it makes. In addition I couldn't make head nor tail of the configurator, particularly trying to spec a dynamo option.

I've also come to the conclusion I'd like a UK based company that I can go back to readily if I need support.

I'm sure all the warranties will be heavily caveated, and with relatively niche companies they may well not exist in 10 years.

OP
OP
N

Nebulous

Guru
I really like my Titanium Tempest from Planet X. Decent availability too - I know some brands are out of stock for months at the moment.
They do a few variants too.

I have a cheap cyclocross bike, which was my long term commuter before lockdown. It does the job, when out on old railway lines with my wife it was the one I would take for non tarmac stuff. However on the road it fell far short of my road bikes. It also never matched up to the cheap and just as heavy touring bike it replaced, after that one was written off in a disagreement over road space with a car.

Partly because of those prejudices - I'm instinctively wary of anything labelled as a gravel bike. 99% of my riding will be on surfaced roads. Do I want to accept compromises in that for the 1% of off road sections?

I may be wrong - but for the Reilly they have a very well reviewed gravel bike called the Gradient. I've headed for the Spectre because I'm wanting a comfortable road bike for long distances, not an offroader that can also cope with tarmac.

In other words I'm suspicious of the 'one bike to rule them all' philosophy. I want a specific tool, an audax bike, which is where my interests have arrived at, rather than a compromised swiss army knife.

Top Bottom