Scratching a titanium itch

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
When I ordered my bike the guy phoned me up a couple of times to discuss the build. Really friendly. Could hardly get him off the phone. :laugh:
You were spending more than me - I had one of them checking bolt sizes on a canti - uphanger:laugh: (i have spend a reasonable amount with them over the years though..

vickster

Legendary Member
They weren’t convinced by my purple tape and cable wish, they did admit it looked good though :laugh:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
They weren’t convinced by my purple tape and cable wish, they did admit it looked good though :laugh:
I can imagine that caused a few raised eyebrows.:okay:

That is the thing with Titanium though, its looks a bit bland (in a classy way) unless you can get a bit of colour accent in somewhere. Purple valve dust covers?

vickster

Legendary Member
I can imagine that caused a few raised eyebrows.:okay:

That is the thing with Titanium though, its looks a bit bland (in a classy way) unless you can get a bit of colour accent in somewhere. Purple valve dust covers?
Nah, bottle cages :whistle:

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Anyway, I find myself in a reasonably secure financial position and I'm considering a new bike.
I'm quite drawn to Reilly cycleworks, particularly the spectre. Does any one have one?
Any other suggestions?
Something lush from Enigma?
@Soltydog got a tasty Ti build from them IiRC

I'd certainly recommend Enigma if you want something special :okay: In house paintshop means custom options are unlimited & they were quite happy to fit some parts that I supplied. In the 3 years of ownership I've now covered over 10k miles with no issues at all. But I've changed the look of it slightly. I had saddle issues, so had to change that & bought a set of new wheels for winter, but found they were a better ride than the original handbuilts I specced so they've stayed on. It's not as 'retro' looking as it was.

Certainly worth looking at warranty fine print though. I ruled one manufacturer out, they had a 10 year warranty, but you could only have 1 claim :blush:

I have 3 Ti bikes now, the Enigma is certainly the best, but my Van Nic is still a lovely ride & was about 1/3 of the price, but again that's been faultless too, around 5 years ownership & over 14k miles & VN offer a lifetime warranty 👍

OP
OP
N

Nebulous

Guru
You said hi spec, possibly Di2.
Yes, Spa are the only sellers. Check what clearance the Silk Road has (I think it’s limited). That bike in the link has 25s on and there’s very little clearance on the seat tube. You won’t get 32s on there
My AR1 will certainly take 32s with guards (although clearly double check). I run 28s and it’s right for me.
You can always get the wheels built elsewhere and the frameset from another retailer eg PX. It’ll be a bespoke spec presumably.
what’s your max budget?

Does Di2 make it posh?

I broke my left wrist twice as a teenager. It usually doesn’t impact my day to day life, but I’ve found myself on very long rides - 600k territory where I literally can’t change into the big ring, and have to use both hands. I’m not sure if it is connected to the broken wrist but it might well be. I’ve this idea that if electric changing can help me overcome a natural decline I might be best to go for it.

I’m always the same though, houses, cars, cameras etc. I’d like a study, I’d like a sat nav, I’d like a better lens. Then ‘How much?’

I’ve been reading some retirement research, showing that people spend less than they had planned to, don’t take the holidays they had intended to and often actually save more money in retirement, despite earning less. Or in short: moving from accumulation to decumulation is difficult. That has persuaded me to lash out on a bike.

I’d have a mental block at going over £5k.

vickster

Legendary Member
Does Di2 make it posh?

I broke my left wrist twice as a teenager. It usually doesn’t impact my day to day life, but I’ve found myself on very long rides - 600k territory where I literally can’t change into the big ring, and have to use both hands. I’m not sure if it is connected to the broken wrist but it might well be. I’ve this idea that if electric changing can help me overcome a natural decline I might be best to go for it.

I’m always the same though, houses, cars, cameras etc. I’d like a study, I’d like a sat nav, I’d like a better lens. Then ‘How much?’

I’ve been reading some retirement research, showing that people spend less than they had planned to, don’t take the holidays they had intended to and often actually save more money in retirement, despite earning less. Or in short: moving from accumulation to decumulation is difficult. That has persuaded me to lash out on a bike.

I’d have a mental block at going over £5k.
Well it adds a chunk to the cost. Best to get some quotes for bikes that meet your spec.

I tried the van Nic Skeiron too, nice bike, but the geometry was just not right for me (and a bit spendy). Oddly quite a few TI roadframes don’t or didn’t come with rack mounts (if a concern) or front mudguard eyelets so do your research

OP
OP
N

Nebulous

Guru
Ribble have an endurance Ti option including with Di2 (you'd need to have the dynamo wheel discussion)
https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-endurance-ti-disc/
Clearly aimed at Audaxers as they spec with a Brooks saddle :laugh:

However unless an XS... We are currently experiencing high demand. Your estimated dispatch date is March 31, 2022 :wacko:

That is a very good looking bike, with very well specced kit. Carbon wheels and bars at that price are very good. As a review I saw pointed out you would be more than that for the Mason Frameset. Internal routing as well. May be slightly too aggressive geometry and maximum 28s with guards.

Daninplymouth

I’ve pretty much ruled it out on price. Looks extremely good however.
Does it have to be ti they do steel and Ali versions which are a bit more reasonable but still higher end, around £4000 in di2
Also they have their iso bike which is more geared to off-road…. Wonder if the wife will mind me ordering one of these for myself 😂

Top Bottom