Scratching a titanium itch

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lejogger

Guru
I’ve got a Sabbath AR1 which probably isn’t as posh as you want. I looked at virtually every make (other than Moots and Seven which are crazy expensive), test rode several and decided on the Sabbath with the spec I wanted at a price I could justify to myself (as opposed to afford).
Note it’s QR not TA which isn’t an issue for me but may be for some.

The others which really tempted me were the J Guillem Orient and the Enigma Etape. In the end I couldn’t justify the extra £1000-1500. The Laverack warranty and to be honest the aesthetic put me off (they just looked a bit blokey!)

Pearsons do Ti which you may not have heard of, could be worth a look (they’re in the middle to higher price range)
Have you seen the new version of the Orient @vickster ?

I can't decide if I love it or hate it. The studio shots make it look a bit bland, but in some of the non-contrived photos I've seen it's mouth-wateringly beautiful. Although I think that's the case for the majority of Ti frames. Photographs never quite do them justice.

The frame design is very marmite. I daresay too modern for traditionalists.

vickster

Legendary Member
Have you seen the new version of the Orient @vickster ?

I can't decide if I love it or hate it. The studio shots make it look a bit bland, but in some of the non-contrived photos I've seen it's mouth-wateringly beautiful. Although I think that's the case for the majority of Ti frames. Photographs never quite do them justice.

The frame design is very marmite. I daresay too modern for traditionalists.
I've not no...but I now have the Sabbath (which I really should ride more!)

Itch scratch achieved with arrival of this beautiful Ti this morning

Nice - did you buy the frame and spec it yourself?

Oh and a photo needs to go on this thread ;).
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/show-us-your-titanium.56645/
No the previous owner built it from a frame and did real quality job.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I agree, but we would probably be surprised. I mean, some people pay a lot of money to have their tongues split, faces tattooed, and their most delicate bits pierced by chunks of metal... Compared to that kind of thing, a fancy bike paint job seems pretty tame! :laugh:
I actually quite like both the paint jobs on that, but then a I do ride a celeste Bianchi and my gravel bike is bright green! The wiggly wheel rims un-nerve me though.:wacko: i have no tattoos or piercing though

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I actually quite like both the paint jobs on that, but then a I do ride a celeste Bianchi and my gravel bike is bright green! The wiggly wheel rims un-nerve me though.:wacko: i have no tattoos or piercing though
I had a celeste Bianchi too, many years ago. I liked the colour but not the shape of the tubes or its ugly welds.

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
Indeed. I’m not sure they’ll sell many!:wacko:
I popped into see Guy and William Pearson last week for a catch up (I was their manager for 15 years); the picture does not do it justice; that bike looks stunning in 'the flesh'. Although many love the riding characteristics and durability of a well designed, well made Titanium frame not all like the visual of any of the traditional finishes, normally brushed, beaded or polished. I worked at Enigma for a few years and they have an 'in house' paint facility, note they make steel frames and that was no doubt the main driver behind setting up the paint shop, but you may be surprised how many have their new titanium frames painted.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
@PaulSmith SRCC smith I don’t mind a little paint on the seat stays but the camouflage really is a bit much…too blokey for me as a woman to be honest. But then I guess most of their customers are men. Would be good if there was a bare option. Mine is jazzed up with tape, bottle cafes, cable outers. All can be changed easily.

About 10 years ago, It was William who got me on the slippery slope to spending too much money on bikes :laugh:

Sutton now Balfes is my LBS and used for maintenance still

OP
OP
N

Nebulous

Guru
Still working on this. The Reilly is still leading. I decided I might be able to open the purse strings a bit more - and contacted both Enigma and Mason, but they are both looking at Spring next year. With LEL in August I'd prefer sooner. Reilly reckons September / October this year - enough time to save up.

Top Bottom