Scratching a titanium itch

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I have a cheap cyclocross bike, which was my long term commuter before lockdown. It does the job, when out on old railway lines with my wife it was the one I would take for non tarmac stuff. However on the road it fell far short of my road bikes. It also never matched up to the cheap and just as heavy touring bike it replaced, after that one was written off in a disagreement over road space with a car.

Partly because of those prejudices - I'm instinctively wary of anything labelled as a gravel bike. 99% of my riding will be on surfaced roads. Do I want to accept compromises in that for the 1% of off road sections?

I may be wrong - but for the Reilly they have a very well reviewed gravel bike called the Gradient. I've headed for the Spectre because I'm wanting a comfortable road bike for long distances, not an offroader that can also cope with tarmac.

In other words I'm suspicious of the 'one bike to rule them all' philosophy. I want a specific tool, an audax bike, which is where my interests have arrived at, rather than a compromised swiss army knife.
Planet X do range of titanium frames...yes the Tempest is a "gravel bike" but the Hurricane is bang up your street for an Audax bike, the Spitfire more a race bike

vickster

Legendary Member
I’ve got a Sabbath AR1 which probably isn’t as posh as you want. I looked at virtually every make (other than Moots and Seven which are crazy expensive), test rode several and decided on the Sabbath with the spec I wanted at a price I could justify to myself (as opposed to afford).
Note it’s QR not TA which isn’t an issue for me but may be for some.

The others which really tempted me were the J Guillem Orient and the Enigma Etape. In the end I couldn’t justify the extra £1000-1500. The Laverack warranty and to be honest the aesthetic put me off (they just looked a bit blokey!)

Pearsons do Ti which you may not have heard of, could be worth a look (they’re in the middle to higher price range)

bitsandbobs

Über Member
I haven't been on here much recently. Moved home, retired and was finding very little time to cycle.

That has changed, and I've picked it up a bit, with a 200 and 300 audax coming up at the end of the month. Feeling much better for it too.

Anyway, I find myself in a reasonably secure financial position and I'm considering a new bike.

I'm quite drawn to Reilly cycleworks, particularly the spectre. Does any one have one?

Any other suggestions?

I want it for relatively long distance stuff, specifically audax. Almost exclusively surfaced roads, no bike-packing. Probably what would have been called a fast tourer.

Discs, high spec, possibly Di2, dynamo and guards. Looking to go wider, possibly 32mm tyres with the guards.

At the moment I have a genesis equilibrium disc with 105 for audax. Maximum tyres it can take are 28s. It's up to the job, I've fettled it a bit, but I've never been excited by it. Anything I buy, as befits the price, would need to feel like a significant improvement over the Genesis.

Not sure if it was ever mentioned on this forum, but Mark Reilly sadly died earlier this year. He was only 53.

OP
OP
N

Nebulous

Guru
I’ve got a Sabbath AR1 which probably isn’t as posh as you want. I looked at virtually every make (other than Moots and Seven which are crazy expensive), test rode several and decided on the Sabbath with the spec I wanted at a price I could justify to myself (as opposed to afford).
Note it’s QR not TA which isn’t an issue for me but may be for some.

The others which really tempted me were the J Guillem Orient and the Enigma Etape. In the end I couldn’t justify the extra £1000-1500. The Laverack warranty and to be honest the aesthetic put me off (they just looked a bit blokey!)

Pearsons do Ti which you may not have heard of, could be worth a look (they’re in the middle to higher price range)

Thanks - I'm not hung up on posh. I'm very much a bargain basement kind of shopper, so believe me if I can get what I want cheaper I'll go for it. Bikes have developed with TAs and bigger tyres, both of which I like, and Sabbath seems not to have moved on. I quite like the look of the Silk Road disc. SABBATH Silk Road Disc (One Off Limited Edition) | £1950.00 | Bikes | Audax & Sportive | Spa Cycles

From what I've heard of Spa I think they would be good at speccing/building dynamo wheels and lights as well. However it says all sizes unavailable except extra small. Am I right in thinking Spa bought out sabbath? Are they actually building more or only running down existing stock?

vickster

Legendary Member
You said hi spec, possibly Di2.
Yes, Spa are the only sellers. Check what clearance the Silk Road has (I think it’s limited). That bike in the link has 25s on and there’s very little clearance on the seat tube. You won’t get 32s on there
My AR1 will certainly take 32s with guards (although clearly double check). I run 28s and it’s right for me.
You can always get the wheels built elsewhere and the frameset from another retailer eg PX. It’ll be a bespoke spec presumably.
what’s your max budget?

Last edited:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
you might be correct re Spa and Sabbath

1626163739290.png

1626163760217.png

You've linked to a one off limited edition bike, there are many other titanium models on the Spa website

re TA's there is an argument for them with disc brakes (I'm not saying whether that is a correct argument) but lots of Spa's Ti range have rim brakes where QR is king.

vickster

Legendary Member
Ribble have an endurance Ti option including with Di2 (you'd need to have the dynamo wheel discussion)
https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-endurance-ti-disc/
Clearly aimed at Audaxers as they spec with a Brooks saddle :laugh:

However unless an XS... We are currently experiencing high demand. Your estimated dispatch date is March 31, 2022 :wacko:

Last edited:

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Thanks - I'm not hung up on posh. I'm very much a bargain basement kind of shopper, so believe me if I can get what I want cheaper I'll go for it. Bikes have developed with TAs and bigger tyres, both of which I like, and Sabbath seems not to have moved on. I quite like the look of the Silk Road disc. SABBATH Silk Road Disc (One Off Limited Edition) | £1950.00 | Bikes | Audax & Sportive | Spa Cycles

From what I've heard of Spa I think they would be good at speccing/building dynamo wheels and lights as well. However it says all sizes unavailable except extra small. Am I right in thinking Spa bought out sabbath? Are they actually building more or only running down existing stock?
They still get the frames from Taiwan and just build to your spec. They are great at letting you choose crank length, stem, cassette ratio and other things plus will hand build decent wheels too.

I have a cheap cyclocross bike, which was my long term commuter before lockdown. It does the job, when out on old railway lines with my wife it was the one I would take for non tarmac stuff. However on the road it fell far short of my road bikes. It also never matched up to the cheap and just as heavy touring bike it replaced, after that one was written off in a disagreement over road space with a car.

Partly because of those prejudices - I'm instinctively wary of anything labelled as a gravel bike. 99% of my riding will be on surfaced roads. Do I want to accept compromises in that for the 1% of off road sections?

I may be wrong - but for the Reilly they have a very well reviewed gravel bike called the Gradient. I've headed for the Spectre because I'm wanting a comfortable road bike for long distances, not an offroader that can also cope with tarmac.

In other words I'm suspicious of the 'one bike to rule them all' philosophy. I want a specific tool, an audax bike, which is where my interests have arrived at, rather than a compromised swiss army knife.

Mine keeps up with my mate on his S Works TdF issue Tarmac with aero carbon wheels. We've about the same fitness level. And that's with me on 32mm gatorskins.

I got the bike in readiness for some bike packing adventures to come. It'll take everything I can throw at it but if you're not wanting to plan for that - then the Hurricane would be for you.

Oh. Hurricane is 3 to 4 months wait. Tempest one month.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
They'll even let you supply your own wheels, as I did. But, as I found, the price of this is that they get to insult your wheels first. I handed mine over the counter and there was much sucking of teeth, shaking of heads, pinging of spokes and "who built this? ... tut ... I dunno"
:laugh::laugh: I can imagine that.

they are dead helpful (phone them rather than email), when I've ordered bit and bobs over the phone or asked about a part, they have gone to the box / rack etc found it and answered the question i was asking. Probably helps to have a Y'shire accept though :okay:

Mo1959

Legendary Member
:laugh::laugh: I can imagine that.

they are dead helpful (phone them rather than email), when I've ordered bit and bobs over the phone or asked about a part, they have gone to the box / rack etc found it and answered the question i was asking. Probably helps to have a Y'shire accept though :okay:
When I ordered my bike the guy phoned me up a couple of times to discuss the build. Really friendly. Could hardly get him off the phone. :laugh:

Top Bottom