Shimano RS010 wheels - freehub failure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pfm401

Just wondering if anyone has had experience of Shimano RS010 freehub failure? When I was out riding the freehub stopped engaging i.e. "span out", probably confirming my misdiagnosis of the annoying "clicking" sound which I had put down to a stiff link (including "magic link" on my KMC chain) that I intended to sort out after the ride! Whilst I was freewheeling back (luckily 3 miles mostly downhill!) it then reengaged later in the ride! I've had a similar fault before with Fulcrum wheels (though that never reengaged) that was down to a broken pin in the freehub.

I bought this from Wiggle who have said I need to return it for warranty inspection. It's done 1200 winter miles (Stravaed) though I haven't done any maintenance in this time - I tend to do this in spring and autumn, though in any case wouldn't expect the fault described to arise from a lack of maintenance (any faults would be noisy freehub or lack of smoothness in rotation, not failure to engage altogether).

Any views on this? I do think it's a warranty issue but as an amateur mechanic I may have missed something in maintenance and it might just be easier to replace the freehub?

Thanks, Paul.

If not replaceable under warranty, I'd take the cassette off and dribble some oil into the freehub first, see if it frees up. If no joy, new freehub time.

This is pretty common and if you understand the mechanics of the freewheeling mechanism, you'll see why. The ratchet comprises two or three tiny steel teeth running on an asymmetrically notched shaft. The little teeth (pawls) are held in place with a tiny spring wire with 0.5mm diameter. The whole lot runs on 64 minute bearing balls. Springs and pawls cannot be made rust proof and the slightest bit of salt water that gets in there will eat through the spring in days.

I haven't seen the wheel, so I can't blame it on maintenance, but other than removing the freehub body and squirting oil into it, there's not much you can do. Sealing it is extremely difficult given the space available to engineers but even so, the seal is pretty good and freehubs last a long time. Replace the mechanism, it isn't expensive and it is quick to do.

OP
OP
P

pfm401

Thanks guys. I've asked Wiggle if I can just return the freehub rather than the entire wheelset, that way if they don't replace it I can simply buy a new freewheel and nothing lost. I'll see what they say.

I get the "oil drip" advice, and it makes sense that the mechanism now fails intermittently - but I've lost confidence in the wheel as it's a "ride abort" issue - I was lucky the other day I was so close to my car and could freewheel back. Bizarrely I had a Fulcrum wheel fail with the same issue in the same place a couple of years back, luckily an LBS in the nearest town had the part (a broken thingy that engages with the pawls) and repaired it for £13 - I know they work differently from Shimano which is not repairable! That saved my ride that day. Hence I'd rather spend the £20 or so on a new freewheel as it would cost more to bail out a taxi if it fails again - and even more if I have to call the missus out - though not necessarily in cash!!!

Cheers,
Paul.

Top Bottom