Shimano shortages

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Campognolo Smugness Ensues.

Campognolo - is that a Chinese copy ? ;)

chriswoody

Legendary Member
@chris-suffolk I'm looking at a 11 speed 10-42 cassette. It's a 1x drivetrain so I need the wide range in the cassette.

The original SRAM one is actually the cheapest of the 11 speed jobs at 'only' €90 ! If I can, I'd like to stay with that, but all options seem out at the moment. One possible idea is the e-thirteen 10-46, but again super expensive and difficult to justify.

I'll have a look at chain reaction later, bit I fear it may not be an option due to me being in Germany. Buying from UK based companies is proving problematic at the moment, I need to spend less than £125( I think that's the limit anyway) and then even if the company pays the vat, rightly or wrongly, the German government are slapping import duties onto stuff coming in from the UK.

Apologies everyone for mentioning politics, but it is the reality for me at the moment.

Hopefully something will show up though, some stock does appear from time to time.

Buying from UK based companies is proving problematic at the moment, I need to spend less than £125( I think that's the limit anyway) and then even if the company pays the vat, rightly or wrongly, the German government are slapping import duties onto stuff coming in from the UK.

Apologies everyone for mentioning politics, but it is the reality for me at the moment.
folk need to sort that, probably bungling rather than conspiracy.
On balance I would far prefer being in germany with access to all those sensible online retailers and their sensible bits.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
folk need to sort that, probably bungling rather than conspiracy.
On balance I would far prefer being in germany with access to all those sensible online retailers and their sensible bits.

I think there's a lot of confusion as well, it's really not clear about who should be paying what, and to who, it's not just the purchasing of goods either. I expect it will all work out in the fullness of time though and become much clearer. I won't say anymore though, I don't want to bring politics into it.

As you say, we do have some great online retailers for the mainstream bits and a great network of local bike shops for the more obscure bits so no complaints on that front.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
An update https://road.cc/content/tech-news/shimano-invests-ps216-million-expanding-production-284779
Bicycle component brand Shimano is investing around 20 billion yen (£131 million) in building a new plant in Singapore following a surge in demand resulting from the coronavirus pandemic, Nikkei Asia has reported(link is external). The Japanese company is also investing a further 13 billion yen (£85 million) in expanding the production capacity of domestic factories.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Great - in 2 years time when the plants are online and stock has reached these shores I will be able to buy items at normal prices (plus brexit tax).

hatler

Guru
LOL - if you stick to the same bike for a while, spares are a fact of life. Buy when things are plentiful / cheaper, and then you don't get affected by supply shortages. Exact opposite of people panic buying bog roll.
And the double plus good element of this tactic is that when things are in short supply, you're not fuelling demand. Win win win for everyone.

Top Bottom