Shimano SPD spindle/axle length

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
FrothNinja

FrothNinja

Veteran
How bad is the rubbage? If this is only a concern due to you noticing the polishing of the crank arm then ignore it and carry on. If you can feel it then maybe move your cleats slightly or consider alternative shoes?

Will be cleaning out the cleats and using any remaining play to the outside. With a bit of luck that will do the trick.
The rubbage is at the widest point of the foot behind the big toe. It's not excessive but the squeek is bl)(dy annoying and it is starting to wear the shoe a bit as well as the rubber bands on the cadences sensors.

OP
OP
FrothNinja

FrothNinja

Veteran
Been some good solid advice folks - thank you.
Tomorrow I will clean the cleat and see if there is any lateral play left.
I'll keep you posted. If it works then, providing I can have the leaking tubeless rim sorted, it'll be ready to take down for a few days around Marlborough.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
There is possibly 1mm left to move. I'll give them a good clean out and give that a try. With a bit of luck it may just do the trick

With a bit of luck it should do.

I had the same problem with a pair of DHb shoes and had to move the cleats as far inward as possible

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Yes, those might give the OP a mm: there'd still be plenty of pedal axle thread engaged in the crank. And given pedal/crank precession unscrewing would not be an issue. Need to get the colour right though.

You can get black, silver alloy, copper ..... as I said I use alloy sump plug washers 9/16 D (?). Cost pence rather than pounds for the 'proper' ones. One on each axle solved the problem for me, easier than moving cleats.

OP
OP
FrothNinja

FrothNinja

Veteran
Managed to get nearly 2mm sideways on the cleats. Hoping to test ride this arvo or tomorrow morn. I have also scored a free set of legit Shimano washers, just in case.

OP
OP
FrothNinja

FrothNinja

Veteran
Back in about half an hour - it's test time

OP
OP
FrothNinja

FrothNinja

Veteran
All good so far - squeezed in about 400ft ascent, averaged 150w overall and no squeaking.
Will have to see if it is the same story on a longer ride but I reckon it will be.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I have bigger feet :rolleyes: & yes it is an issue. I use look pedals & have resorted to pedal washers just to give me a mm or 2 more width. 👍
Another option is to switch to a silver crankset, then you dont notice any rubbing on the crank arms :okay::laugh:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Another option is to switch to a silver crankset, then you dont notice any rubbing on the crank arms :okay::laugh:
Not actually true... :whistle:

Polished crank.jpg

That is after 23 years of polishing (and scratching) by the inside of my shoe.

Much less obvious than on black cranks though! :okay:

And yes - my bike needs cleaning! :laugh:

Top Bottom