Shimano ST-F51 Gear shifter wrong gear count.

zakitc

Hi, all
I have a problem. I recently took a bike to service because gears where not shifting. It turned out that derrraileur and shifter was different companies (SRAM vs Shimano) and derreauler was replaced. Gears are shifting okay, but service messed up shifters - they lost indicators on both of them, so I have no idea on what gear am I. Is there anywhere I can buy them or make someting up? Like paint a ring with red bit sticking out.. I just can't find picture how it should look....and fit in to the whole system.
I went back, but they said they couldn't do anything about it as there is no spare parts and they have no idea where are originals......And basically - if I want to replace them to new - they would find a way to make it profitable.
I actually asked how much that would cost - out of curiosity - they said - 30 pounds for set of shifters, 15 pounds for work as they charge for hour and changing them would take an hour- that was the moment that I new I wouldn't be going back. Because I was the one buying those shifters in the first place - they are 11 pounds on eBay....with delivery....

figbat

Slippery scientist
Why do you need to know what gear you're in? Just use whatever gear suits the situation - if it's too hard, select a lower one. Too spinny, use a higher one. If you run out of gears one way or the other, then so be it - knowing what gear is selected doesn't change this.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Hold on ... they replaced your derailleur (not shifters). So you still have your original shifters, but " service messed up shifters - they lost indicators on both of them".

That's outrageous. They're meant to be fixing your bike not breaking it. If they had working indicators before then they should have working indicators afterwards.

I don't really have any advice for you other than that I think it's totally effing unacceptable.

Yes, sure you could look down to get a view of what gear you're in, but if you had working indicators before, you liked them and you want to keep them it's not acceptable that they should give you your bike back with them broken.

figbat

Slippery scientist
OK, I misinterpreted the OP. Yes, if parts were there and now are not I would be kicking up a fuss. I doubt your shifters are so obscure that replacements are not available.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
As stated, why do you need to know, to me it is just a gimmick. I have them on one of my bikes but can't read them anyway as I need distance glasses for cycling!
When I ride a flat bar bike I appreciate the presence of gear indicators on trigger shifters because the riding position makes it less easy to glance back at the cassette.

But anyway, that's completely beside the point. If I've understood the OP correctly the OP took his/her bike in for service with working components. They broke them and now want to charge for making good.

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
SRAM and Shimano are fully compatible with each other, quite common to see SRAM mechs used with Shimano shifters, even the cassettes are interchangeable.

figbat

Slippery scientist
SRAM and Shimano are fully compatible with each other, quite common to see SRAM mechs used with Shimano shifters, even the cassettes are interchangeable.
Cassettes and chains yes, shifters no. SRAM use a different cable pull ratio to Shimano so shifters and derailleurs are not compatible.

faster

I've never seen a SRAM mech used with Shimano shifters. Unless un-indexed, they are for all intents and purposes, incompatible. I think the cassettes are pretty much all interchangeable though.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I've never seen a SRAM mech used with Shimano shifters. Unless un-indexed, they are for all intents and purposes, incompatible. I think the cassettes are pretty much all interchangeable though.
I ditched the 'revoshift' levers on my Saracen Blitz for Shimano triggers, they worked fine, a month or so later I removed the SRAM mech and fitted a Deore (cos it was nicer)

faster

Early on, SRAM produced shifters that were cross compatible with the Shimano 1.7 ratio.

I see I'm a bit out of date, sorry. :rolleyes:
I think the SRAM shifters that were Shimano compatable were the early 'Gripshift' branded shifters that were everywhere in the mid to late 90's. They had to be Shimano compatible because early on, I don't think SRAM made derailleurs.

This doesn't explain Raleighnut's SRAM derailleur that worked with Shimano revoshift and trigger shifters. Maybe SRAM made some Shimano compatible derailleurs too.

Top Bottom